Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Cloud Sky Camouflage Military camouflage Plant
Got a few to work Thursday morning. It was cold and windy but made my way up the ridge slowly calling every now and then. Ended up striking some birds just over the edge from a saddle I was in. I setup just off the edge of the hillside and this one came to twenty and it was lights out.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Opening day is in the books. There was a gobbler in my neighbor's roost woods going nuts about 200-300 yards away and at least one or two others sporadically gobbling further in. The birds have been milling around over on the neighbor's for a couple hours and usually don't make it to my place until 7:30am or later. I figured someone would be hunting over there and I was right. About 6:50am I looked over my shoulder and through the trees and about 4-500 yards on the other side of my neighbor's green field. I saw a turkey that looked like a gobbler. About 1 minute later, a gun shot from my neighbor's woods and the turkey went down. mr. bluedog and I stayed out the rest of the morning but never saw or heard a turkey. Just how the woods and the fields are set up, I figure the main group of turkeys got pushed further into the woodlot away from the green field and away from my property. At 7pm tonight, there were 2 hens in the back of my field behind the house and slowly heading toward the roost woods on my neighbor's. Tomorrow has an 80% chance of rain in the morning so hunting will be up in the air depending on what the radar is doing. A rainy day would be a good day to sit our big field where I've been seeing them but they are also calling for winds gusting around 25mph and possible thunderstorms. Time will tell.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Shooting a jake is never the plan for me but sometimes the hunt unfolds in such a way that it is worth taking the shot. The soaking wet bird and time of kill (11:58am) should give you a clue. The full story in a separate thread when I have a moment. 🦃♥

Bird Wood Beak Galliformes Grass

·
Registered
418 Posts
Shooting a jake is never the plan for me but sometimes the hunt unfolds in such a way that it is worth taking the shot. The soaking wet bird and time of kill (11:58am) should give you a clue. The full story in a separate thread when I have a moment. 🦃♥

View attachment 56155
Fantastic. Congrats!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Way to go bluedog!
I went out with my son on Saturday in Dorset. Heard a hen calling first thing and tried to mimic her calling but nothing came by. We never did hear any gobbling. About an hour later I had a good calling match with another hunter. He ended up sneaking in on our set-up where he didn't have permission. I called out hey and waved my hat. He turned around and went back where he came from. We then moved to another area of the property on a field edge. We had put out two hen decoys since we decided to leave the jake decoy in the truck. My son saw a bird at quite a distance working its way toward us but then it turned around and left. I wouldn't have thought the hen decoys would have sacred it off? Hopefully we'll get back out soon.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts

View attachment 56155
Congratulations Bluedog, looking forward to reading about your hunt.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Life needs to slow down. I haven't even had a chance to write down the story of my turkey and now this. I spent 6 hours in one of our homemade ground blinds with mr bluedog this morning. We were still operating under the noon cutoff here in the NE zone. Then this happened at 11:52am. Now I have 2 stories to write. LOL
Camouflage Outerwear Plant Hunting Military camouflage

·
Registered
280 Posts
2 weeks ago they were gobbling a bunch, pretty slow right now in SE Ohio. My dad hasn’t heard a bird in 3 days of hunting in a row. 8 days ago when I shot mine I heard at least 6-8 different birds that morning. Strange.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts