Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this thread because I'm in the NE zone and have to wait until next weekend to start hunting.

So good luck to everyone who gets to start hunting tomorrow!!!! I need some stories from the field to keep me going until I can start hunting too.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Good luck everyone! I prob won’t get out until Tuesday. Be safe!! Know what you’re shooting at

Reactions: bluedog

·
Registered
280 Posts
Heard at least 5 different birds on the roost. Had a nice long beard coming in and the 3 hens in front of me drug him away. Probably could have shot 2 different Tom’s this morning if I was comfortable shooting 50 yards. I am hunting with my grandpas old 16 gauge and that just out it’s range even with TSS.
A few more mornings like this and I may switch back to my normal turkey gun for more effective range.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Went to Leetonia this morning with my son. Never heard or saw any turkey. I did see a coyote and had some buzzards circling my decoys. On the way out we jumped a deer in the field. Will try again tomorrow. Hopefully they will be gobbling.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Went back to Leetonia by myself on Sunday. Heard a couple faint gobbles as soon as it got light. Did some soft calling and had a reply. Then had a couple more gobbles not too far from me. The replies were pretty soft and short. He didn’t answer every call just some intermittently. At 8:30 I looked to my right and saw a nice longbeard at 20 yards at the edge of the woods next to the field. I think he was trying to decide wether to proceed into the decoy setup. He must have seen me turn my head or he didn’t like the decoys. He took off back into the woods. I did have a deer run through the wheat field and come over and check out the decoys. I packed up and made a large loop trying to get ahead of the gobbler stopping and setting up in a couple more places. Never saw any more or heard another gobble...until I was walking out at noon and saw a strutter in another field next to where I parked. I hope to get out next weekend in Dorset.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my first turkey Saturday around 6:30AM - Got in my blind about 5:45 & heard a gobble about 6:00

Started calling around 6:10 and he fired up. Gobbled the entire way into my hen decoy. Wish I had filmed it since it was a perfect scene, he was strutting & gobbling his head off
Congratulations Steve!!! Too bad we can't get two birds this year or you would find that your second turkey is not as easy as your first. LOL!!! Awesome job!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts