Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
22,887 Posts
Game attendance yesterday ended up at 81,112 and many left with a sense of what to expect from Urban Meyer and his staff in 2013. Even though they only showed about 30% of the teams offense and defense, you get the sense the intensity and plays are going to be at a much higher level.

Braxton Miller passed for 258 yards going 24-31 and he showed the talent, as well as being comfortable in the offense. He seemed much more comfortable-as expected. Yes, it's only a spring football game, but Miller's 65-yard fourth quarter touchdown drive to give the Scarlet the 20-14 victory was impressive enough. He was kept from running so that weapon was not showcased throughout the day..There was not -one- single huddle on offense!:D

Both Miller and Guiton showed good improvement in their footwork and running their offense. Guiton went 16-24 for 185 yards..

A freshman by the name of Michael Thomas may have stole some of the thunder on offense. The young wide receiver caught 12 passes for 131 yards yesterday and may have opened some eyes. He's been very involved in the spring in learning the system and spends lots of his off time working with the receivers coach and Miller. You can see that it is beginning to pay off.

Thomas, a 6'2", 192-pound freshman wide receiver from Los Angeles, California exploded into the college football scene for Ohio State with an eye-opening spring game Saturday.

Often going no-huddle, sophomore quarterback Braxton Miller finished 24-of-31 (77.4 percent) for 258 yards on the day, delivering crisp passes inside and outside of the pocket while rallying Scarlet to a comeback victory over Gray, 20-14.

However, it was Thomas who stole the spotlight, hauling in an incredible (and unheard of in Buckeye nation-until now) 12 receptions for 131 yards. He was without doubt Miller's favorite target of the day.

If you don't know why this is such a big deal to Ohio State fans, put Thomas' performance into perspective: three Buckeyes were tied for the team lead with 14 receptions for all of 2011.

Miller completed just 75 passes in nine starts last season. If today is any sign for things to come, he's on pace to complete 288 in 2012, with Thomas reeling in half of those-just 11 short of the NCAA record.

While it's all just speculation and it's very easy to get carried away with breakout spring game performances, the Buckeyes are in desperate need of playmakers in the new spread-option.

Urban Meyer isn't known for favoring upperclassmen over young bucs, so I'm sure he won't hesitate to start the best at the position.

Whether that be Thomas or not is to be determined, but Meyer did list him as one of the top two options at wide receiver, along with Corey "Philly" Brown (who finished with seven catches for 90 yards himself).

"Right now, him and (Brown) are kind of our top two (receivers)," Meyer said, according to The Lantern. "I'd have to say right now our playmakers on offense-the top five, in order-are Jordan Hall, would be Jake Stoneburner, would be probably Carlos (Hyde), Philly Brown, Michael Thomas and Devin Smith."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1154971-ohio-state-football-wr-mike-thomas-has-huge-spring-game

The running game was very limited, but Dunn looked very good running the ball. Hyde and Smith have played very well in spring. Jordon Hall who Meyer has classified as a playmaker, did not play as well.

Simon did not play on defense-(except for one down) but he will be a complete animal this fall. He is playing very well in practice and I'll be surprised if he doesn't walk away with many awards this fall. Ryan Shazier has bulked up and had 7 tackles yesterday and made some great plays-one of them completely stuffing Dunn at the line.

All in all, very open no huddle offense, and very quick. Going to be a challenge for many teams if they execute properly. :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
lets keep in mind qbs will not be wearing a special jersey when the real games start...:Di see meyers letting the qbs throwing and not so concerned about an interception every now and then...under tressel i think most qbs were afraid to throw the ball...:D

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Fun to get a glance....will look much different in the fall.

Defense will be the team strength and afford the offense some time and turnovers.
Miller is going to go nuts in this offense.
Rod Smith still has not figured out how to run the ball.....way too high and doesn't get his pads down - kid could start one day if he'd quit running standing straight up!!

Chris Carter - geeze that dude is HUGE! Probably not athletic enough to cut it on D line, but he looked like a Fridge Perry lined up over center.LOL I see him leaving soon enough as there is no place for him on this team with his build.

FYI - Michael Thomas is Keshawn Johnson's nephew; looks a lot like his uncle adjusting his body in air to catch the ball. If he can be anything like his uncle he's a keeper!!

I think we are fine at receiver...as long as we stay healthy. Smith, Thomas, Brown, Fields and the TEs should be enough. Frank E can help if healthy. Smith should have a big year - really athletic and now understanding the position.

Fall should be great fun!

·
22,887 Posts
Fun to get a glance....will look much different in the fall.

Defense will be the team strength and afford the offense some time and turnovers.

Miller is going to go nuts in this offense.

Rod Smith still has not figured out how to run the ball.....way too high and doesn't get his pads down - kid could start one day if he'd quit running standing straight up!!

Chris Carter - geeze that dude is HUGE! Probably not athletic enough to cut it on D line, but he looked like a Fridge Perry lined up over center.LOL I see him leaving soon enough as there is no place for him on this team with his build.

FYI - Michael Thomas is Keshawn Johnson's nephew; looks a lot like his uncle adjusting his body in air to catch the ball. If he can be anything like his uncle he's a keeper!!

I think we are fine at receiver...as long as we stay healthy. Smith, Thomas, Brown, Fields and the TEs should be enough. Frank E can help if healthy. Smith should have a big year - really athletic and now understanding the position.

Fall should be great fun!
I would agree on Miller- going to be fun to watch. I also agree on Rod Smith and lowering his pads. I haven's seen a back run so often straight up like that in many years.

Thomas did look good. He showed some potential and he raised the bar for all the wide receivers to start improving their game.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
I would agree on Miller- going to be fun to watch. I also agree on Rod Smith and lowering his pads. I haven's seen a back run so often straight up like that in many years.

Thomas did look good. He showed some potential and he raised the bar for all the wide receivers to start improving their game.

I think Kenny Guiton won that battle in the circle. :yikes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.