Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here sprayed yet?

I bought some arrest, and I am not sure about using crop oil or not?

Can anyone help? Where can I get crop oil down in Athens area or Caldwell area?

Also, I have read clover can take a light dosing of GLY anyone know what that dosing would be using a backpack sprayer?

·
Registered
416 Posts
id wait a little bit, most herbecides need the plant to be actively growing to be effective. Its still pretty cold

·
Banned
955 Posts
I wouldn't think about spraying grasses in clover plots until mid-late May. I usually do it towards the end of turkey season after I get done hunting one day. I use clethodim with crop oil. I personally would not use gly on clover.......not worth the risk IMO.

After saying that, my fall planted clover plots look great so far this spring. Very few weeds due to the winter rye I planted with the clover.

I'm on the edge of spraying my rye or just allowing it to seed out and die on its own. The clover will be thick enough by then to where the left over rye heads won't grow back. Plus the standing rye makes for great fawning cover. The turkeys also eat the rye seeds as well.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I will just spray some gly on some smart weed and a new plot that I plan on planting this fall.

2. I have arrest because I had a gift card, where can I get something similar and crop oil near Athens?

3. I planned on liming my plots this weekend is this still a good time do so?

4. This means I can get my hands on sprayer, before I try to do 4 acres by hand!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
we already sprayed our clover plots and got the rest of the new food plots sprayed with round up over the weekend...we use "The Pursuit" on our clover fields. Most of the farmers in the area already sprayed their alfalfa. Alfalfa is not much different then clover. Plus you want to kill those weeds as they emerging and this is the time of the year. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
You will not be happy with results if you don't use crop oil with Arrest. It makes a huge difference with the grass kill. Once you use up your Arrest buy some Clethodim; it is much cheaper. You can get it from Rural King and shipping is free for online orders over $50. They also carry generic round up (glyphosate).

I use glyphosate without any long term damage to my perennial clover plots. I use no more than 3/4 of a quart per acre mix. I only spray it in the spring of the year when the ground still has moisture in it and the clover/weeds/grasses are growing well. It will wither the clover but it bounces back. Once the weed and grass competition is gone it really takes off. If you are experiencing a dry spring don't do it. Don't forget the AMS. I have never tried it on new clover plantings or annual clovers.

Another good source of chemicals is Keystone Pest Solutions. Shipping is not too bad but it sure saves on fuel costs if you have to run very far. They also carry crop oil and sprayable AMS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You should be able to find crop oil at any farm store, and you must use it with arrest or clethodim or it most likely won't do anything.

I will be heading down to my hunting property this weekend, and have to decide if it is time to terminate the rye in the clover field or not. Such a weird year, as normally I wouldn't be killing the rye off for at least another month!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts