close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spencer Lake - Medina County

Discussion in 'Ohio Bowhunting' started by truenorth, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Im thinking about hunting this area this upcoming bow season from time to time. I was looking for some feedback from anyone who has hunted this area in the past. Im not looking for your honey hole, but just advice on where to get started. I was thinking south of the lake would be a good place to start. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. This will be my first year deer hunting, so i can't tell you much. I can tell you that I went squirreling there and didn't see one. I did see a few people in the woods walking, walking dogs, and a couple sitting and passing one cigarette between 'em. I think there is an eagle, and I know there are some doves. I also know I too will be there once or twice to try my bow on a deer. Not far from home. Good luck to you!

3. Never actually hunted it but scouted it a couple weeks back. Lots of oaks dropping acorns like crazy. There was some deer sign but not tons. It seems like a lot of people use the area for other recreational things like tedward said. I'm sure deer could be killed there but it might take some serious persistence. Ive heard it's absolute madness during gun season.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. nis1 reminded me of something else. I was there fishing with a couple fellow bluegill killers few years ago. Had never really shot a gun then but heard gunshots a plenty that day. Don't know if it was shotgun or muzzle but it was something. Remember it being unnerving. Got me thinking I wont be around gun season.

5. There is a lot of sign following the river to the south of the lake, i see deer there when i squirrel hunt pretty frequently

6. If it is the weekend, do not bother. If it is after they have begun releasing pheasant, do not bother. After gun season, do not bother. If it is any time other than opening day, do not bother. The property is quite small (618 acres) and it is overrun with unethical "hunters", expect to have almost every sit be interrupted multiple times with people and dogs. LaDue is a much better area (8791 acres), but you must put in plenty of scouting to get it done. Forget about Auburn Marsh. I've seen lot of sign at Hambden Orchard. Grand River is also a nice (7453 acres).