Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions for a solid performing muzzleloader. Price not really an issue but would like a muzzloader that I can count on ever season.

·
22,520 Posts
I've owned several makes and models, and still do-but I'm partial to my TC Encore. Shoots well and consistent. I like the balanced feel of the gun as well and fits well in my hands. You can get some more info in the Blackhorn 209 Blackpowder thread.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
My CVA is just what you described... But if I was you I would buy a Nice SCOPE! That is what has let me down in the past...

·
7,173 Posts
I'll admit to being very partial towards T/C guns. I own a bunch and there have been few problems. T/C's will retain value better if you take care of them.

CVA seems to be producing better stuff now but I can't get past some of the garbage they made in the past.

·
Registered
467 Posts
See if you can find a Knight Disc Elite. They made them in 45 and 50 caliber. They are a fine shooting rifle. If you find one convert it to shoot blackhorn 209 powder with a non full plastic jacket breech plug. Lehigh makes them for the Knight rifles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a triumph bone collector with a 3x9 leupold ultimate slam and I would reccomend the combo to anyone who's looking..good out to 300 yards without question

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Looking for suggestions for a solid performing muzzleloader. Price not really an issue but would like a muzzloader that I can count on ever season.
I used this one two years ago. This is a Knight disc extreme. This is not my gun but I believe an advertisment photo. Mine has a thumb hole stock however mine has the same laminated color layout. This weapon is a tack driver and will key hole at 100 yds. If you miss with this gun, it's your fault not the weapons. I have sense purchased a Knight Mountaineer in 50 cal and burl wood stock, 25th Anniversary Edition. Both guns have Fluted, Cyro'ed Green Mountain Barrels. I have photo's of the AE on my cell, taken in Shawnee State Forest and will upload them if I can. There are alot of great ML out there in just about every price range. Your choice could be very basic to over the top fancy.:D

RGJZ06 50-Shot_Group_Combo_001.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I used this one two years ago. This is a Knight disc extreme. This is not my gun but I believe an advertisment photo. Mine has a thumb hole stock however mine has the same laminated color layout. This weapon is a tack driver and will key hole at 100 yds. If you miss with this gun, it's your fault not the weapons. I have sense purchased a Knight Mountaineer in 50 cal and burl wood stock, 25th Anniversary Edition. Both guns have Fluted, Cyro'ed Green Mountain Barrels. I have photo's of the AE on my cell, taken in Shawnee State Forest and will upload them if I can. There are alot of great ML out there in just about every price range. Your choice could be very basic to over the top fancy.:D

RGJZ06 View attachment 3693
Shawnee late season ML hunt. Pictures of the 25th AE and the Disc Extreme, both 50 cal.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Attachments

·
22,520 Posts
Ok-I'll play too RG-

Here's the Stainless TC Encore with 2x7 Leupold Vari X III scope on a January Muzzleloader hunt on private land here in the great state of ohio :D

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Most muzzle loaders priced at $250 and above will shoot great if the owner practices and is consistent with loads. The problem comes when people cant decide on one bullet and a specific type of powder at a certain weight. In other words, somebody who shoots a cartridge high power rifle well, can really screw up with a muzzle loader.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Ok-I'll play too RG-

Here's the Stainless TC Encore with 2x7 Leupold Vari X III scope on a January Muzzleloader hunt on private land here in the great state of ohio :D

Alright John, you are a much better photog than I am. I was freezing my butt off when I took those pictures Last January. It was snowing and blowing so much the week before ML season, I parked my rear inside. I haven't killed anything with this new gun except a few targets. I'll be back up there again this year to give it another try.

The Lead Sled showed up yesterday and I'm putting it together right now.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Most muzzle loaders priced at $250 and above will shoot great if the owner practices and is consistent with loads. The problem comes when people cant decide on one bullet and a specific type of powder at a certain weight. In other words, somebody who shoots a cartridge high power rifle well, can really screw up with a muzzle loader.
Goog point. I've worked up a bullet, sabot, primer and powder charge for these guns. I stick to those component and have put in practice time to hone my skills.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The latest ad says CVA guarantees the Optima will outshoot any other muzzleloader, or your money back.

I wonder what their definition of outshoot is?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I believe its the accura.. or that's Wht it was last year on there web site when I ordered my powerbelts. I have a cva wolf with the quick release breech plug toped with a bushenel (spell??) Banner scope I took two deer over 150yrds away last season I don't think u could go wrong with either a tc or cva go look at them both find the one that fits u best!!!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I just saw the commercial, I could be mistaken. Regardless, it did look like a nice firearm for sure!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sportsmans guide has the CVA electra on clearance.But only in blue/black combo under 200$,they was 400$ or so when they first hit the market..Its the non 209 primer electronic ignition model with the Bergara barrel..I shot a guys I used to work with an was very impressed with the trigger an accuracy..The trigger is really just a switch,it felt amazing..If I had the cash I would pick one up..The black stock on them has a splatter paint look,which looks like crap IMO..But after he figured out the what loads it likes he was getting 1 3/4 to 2in groups off a bench at 200yrds..3/4 to just under a inch at 100yrds..It might be worth doing some research on

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ok-I'll play too RG-

Was there a gun in that picture? I couldn't help but stare at those rubs. Lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts