close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Soft Hackle Wet Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying / Fly Fishing' started by troutbum, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Been doing some reading, and talked with a couple guys while fishing this spring. The one guy is fishing 3 soft hackles w/droppers and totally killing the trout while the rest of us more technical guys weren't.

I'm pretty much sold on them, and want another weapon in my arsenal. I know this is THE old school way to FF, and had a little resurgence 10 years ago, but this guy was the only one I've really talked to who said he uses them all the time. He even showed me how to fish them. He gave me 3 of his ties (they are patterns with really modern materials that I'm not familiar with, except the hackles).

I'm going to tie some hares ear style and some others- I'm not sure yet.

Any of you into these? I'm going to try to fish soft hackles a lot this fall.

2. Sometimes i ll use them as a dropper off a nymph when the waters cold and no hatches are going on.

3. I haven't had much luck with them. Of course, I've never had anyone show me how. ;) Since I'm a trial and error guy without much patience for the error, I haven't really given them much of a shot. I'm more comfortable not catching fish with something that I've caught them on before than on something that I'm unfamiliar with.

4. GM, I know exactly what you mean. But from what this guy was showing me, you swing them across and down like streamers and you WANT them to drag. It seems it's the least technical FF you can do and catch fish.

Taking my GF (she's just learning) I'll let everyone know here in a couple of weeks.

5. Lance

Lance Super Mod Mod

I've fished them a little but not nearly as much as I'd intended to. Dick Walle who was pretty well known in these parts for his soft hackle work did a presentation for our club a year or two before he passed and really had a lot to share on both tying and fishing them. Up until that most of what I tied were 14's or 16's. He regularly tied and fished them up through size 8.