Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
I wasn't even born when you first joined.....:eek: :eek:

Sorry couldn't pass that one up....;)

This Summer I should be getting new joins that worn't alive when I came in. Once that happens I'll officially be an "ole salt"....;)

TF

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Yes I know how it feels. My two daughters are constantly reminding how old I am. That always makes me feel good. The good news is that there are a few on here that are older than I am.

Ed

I feel old everytime I think about how my favorite port of call, Subic Bay, is closed and got covered by volcanic ash...

:(

Being stationed on a West Pac for two years, I've seen things that most of my friends can't even comprehend. Port calls in Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, South Korea, Phillipines, numerous places in Japan (climbed Mt. Fuji for kicks once), Australia (Shellback X2), and the ever-forgetable Diego Garcia.

Never got to make a Med cruise. Thought my now ex-wife needed me in Ohio. Shoulda stayed in. Did get to spend two lovely weeks in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, tho. Only outdoor walk-in movie theatre I've ever seen.

Hm. Too many memories... I do miss the open ocean.

US Army 69-71 and like OS and 205, a 101st Airborne member based at Camp Eagle, ROV:cool: Ist Battalion, 506th infantry. Luckily, transfered to a recon platoon after six months in country, a decision that probably saved my butt! Lost 80 members of D co (which I'd just transfered from) when firebase Ripcord was overrun:eek: Again, luckily, I was on R&R in Hong kong that week. The Good Lord was definitely holding my hand during that worst year of my young life.....TF

The gentleman on whose land I have the privilege to hunt just returned from a year's duty in Kosovo. He is a Lt. Col. in the Ohio Army National Guard, and though he's been in the Guard for many years, this was his first deployment ever. He will be retiring soon.

Originally posted by hntnfsh
I feel old everytime I think about how my favorite port of call, Subic Bay, is closed and got covered by volcanic ash...

:(

Yes, that was a sad day when they closed that base. I've heard that Clark is open for small unit deployments, but there isn't any off base liberty. Of course that doesn't stop the locals from "importing" entertainment.....:eek: :D

TF

I went in, in '79 and got out in '86. Worked as a 45B, 05B, 31V (which went to 18E when Special Forces got the 18's)
Could not stand looking at the news at night and my 4 sons, thought I could do something so went back to the WV Guard last March and I am on Active Duty with the Home Land Def. here in WV. My home unit is C. Co. 2nd 19th Special Forces. I must say, as much as I love this job, it is still my honer to be doing it.
Hey TF,
There are alot of guys here that was not born when I went in, one of the men served with my Dad in SF and he got out of Group in 68. Lerry will be 60 this June and can still run everyone's butt in to the ground. Oh ya, the Guard is giving him a waver and he will stay in till atleast 61 and see about one more waver next year.

Electronic tech ET2/E5 US Navy 83-89
Stationed at one time or another:
Great Lakes, Norfolk Va, San Diego, San Francisco and Yokosuka, Japan.

Hey hntnfish, sounds like you were in Yokosuka the same time I was. I was there 83-85 and 88-89. First ship I was on was the 7th fleet flagship the Blue Ridge then with a destroyer called the Fife. Great times over there. Sounds like all your port of calls were the same as mine. 3x shellback.

chopiq,

The Blueridge, eh? LOL, small world, ain't it? I was on the USS Knox then, FF-1052. STG3. I can't remember our Captain's name right off hand, but everytime we'd pull into port, he'd play bagpipes over the 1MC. Sounded like someone was beating a cat. :D You know how "hi-fi" those outside speakers were... :rolleyes:

I remember hearing that the Blueridge was pretty much "dog and pony show" 24/7. In contrast, the Knox was just a rusty little can with a skipper that thought he was drivin a cruiser... Gawd. What memories...

:cool:

Now this is what I call a productive thread, just look at all the things we have in common here. All soldiers should stick together no matter what branch of service, it shows that we all care about this country and we were willing to serve it at any cost whether in a combat situation or peace time effort..

Sounds like some exciting times fellas. I kind of wish I had chosen that route. In high school I was being pulled at by the Army and Navy recruiters (this was 1989). I took my ASVAB and evidently did quite well. At the time I was looking at the Nuclear field which had a 6 year initial commitment. At 17 I couldn't foster a 6 year commitment so I took the college route instead. Things are good today and everything seemed to work out. Somedays I wonder what life would be like now had to took the military route.
Humm.....?????

Never served myself but I appreciate everyone who did and does. My dad got drafted in 67 and served in Vietnam. He took a morter round to the neck and stomach. He basically died 3 different times on the medics. was hit on Feb 29th 1968. He still has shrapnal (sp)? in his neck, and has a clamp holding his jugular in place.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
For all you x Navy guys, where in the world did the word Geedunk (spelling) ever come from? I don't know if they ever used this word in any other branch of the service but they did in the Navy. I know what it means just curious as to where it came from.

Ed

Heres what I found:

GEEDUNK - To most sailors the word geedunk means ice cream, candy, potato chips and other assorted snacks, or even the place where they can be purchased. No one, however, knows for certain where the term originated, but there are several plausible theories:

1.) In the 1920's a comic strip character named Harold Teen and his friends spent a great amount of time at Pop's candy store. The store's owner called it The Geedunk for reasons never explained.

2.) The Chinese word meaning a place of idleness sounds something like gee dung.

3.) Geedunk is the sound made by a vending machine when it dispenses a soft drink in a cup.

4.) It may be derived from the German word tunk meaning to dip or sop either in gravy or coffee. Dunking was a common practice in days when bread, not always obtained fresh, needed a bit of tunking to soften it. The ge is a German unaccented prefix denoting repetition. In time it may have changed from getunk to geedunk. Whatever theory we use to explain geedunk's origin, it doesn't alter the fact that Navy people are glad it all got started.

I learned it was from number three.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.