Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

So who served their country?

6K views 63 replies 28 participants last post by  Hendershot210 
#1 ·
There are a few on here such as TF and we know that he is still serving his country. I am sure that there are many here who have. So what branch did you serve in?
I served in the Navy, only four and a half years, from 1966 to 1970.

Ed

#5 ·
I tried to join the Navy out of high school (about 16 years ago). I did very well on the ASVAB, but my asthma kept me out. I was very disappointed at the time beacuse I wanted to follow my dad's footsteps, in a way. My dad (probably my biggest hero) was a combat medic in the Army during the Korean War, and though he was drafted, he stayed in the Army for eight years before he left.

#61 ·
OhioMadMan, I'm right there with you on a lot of that. I got to Devens for AIT (05h10) in late '76 after boot at Ft. Dix. Got to Torii Station mid '77 for 18 months. Stuck me in Delta Co. with no A/C or female troops like Alpha Co. across the street. Swing shifts at The Box. Then to Kelly AFB in San Antonio for a while. ETS summer '79 at Ft. Sam Houston. I flew back stateside with a guy name of Kenny from London Ohio.
Seems like forever ago.

#7 ·
THE United States Navy
1983-1989

USS Knox FF-1052, 1983-85, homeport Yokosuka, Japan

USS San Jacinto CG-56, 1987-89, plankowner, Norfolk, VA

The two years in between I was in school in San Diego. Sailors and dogs - keep off the grass. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I did not, although I wanted to. I was all set, but a few things were fishy, they couldnt commit to puting me in the program I wanted, plus the recruiter kept following me around to all my high school games. I felt like I was in the NFL combine minus the signing bonus. Too bad would have loved to done it for a while, but wouldnt trade the life I have now.

To all who did and continue to serve, thanks

#9 ·
My best friend just called this afternoon and he's going to be in town from the Air Force Thursday thru Saturday. He had been in Uzbekistan. He's a mechanic on a C-130. Now that he's back in the U.S. he has to spend 4 weeks training on a new plane.

My cousin finished basic training at Parris Island in January. He's going to be a mechanic. I am very proud of him.

#11 ·
Branch - U. S. Navy ... entered May 62'

Boot Camp @ Great Lakes
Basic Electronics School @ Great Lakes
Radar/Com School @ Great Lakes
Electronic Warfare/GPS school @ DamNeck, Va
New London Conn for more schools

Best Ports of call - Holy Loche, Scotsland - Rota, Spain - Pearl, Hawii - Bremerton, Wa & Charleston, SC was my homeport for many years & a Bass Angler's deeeeeeeeee-lite...

long live the Proteus AS-19 (pick-a-daddy contest in Scotsland)
long live the Boomers - Washington/Lincoln Class boats
new commission nucleus-crew/plank owner -- Simon Lake AS-33

-found out as a farm kid that the world also has alot of real pit-holes

#13 ·
Originally posted by eschatts
Ray
You were luck to go to boot in great lakes. I got sent to sandiego. What an experience that was.

Ed
Well the drill Grinders for boot were probably better n' cooler than at SD ... but the followin' winter for school tranin' they had us in old WW II barracks with 30 straight days of below Zero temps ... froze my freakin' rear off in the barracks & the chow line was the real frozen pits:rolleyes:

-later Gator, thanks for the mems!:D

#15 · (Edited)
Ray,
Yes you are right about the cold weather. I have spent many a miserable night in a Q Hut. Its seems that the military never ran out of things to make us miserable.:)
One of my tours of duty was spent in Keflavik Iceland. Now let me tell you that was cold. I was up there a year.

Ed

#17 ·
U.S. Navy (76-85)
Data Systems Technician E-6
Boot Camp Orlando Fla.
Plankowner of the USS Mississippi CGN-40 (Now scrapped)
Shellback
Naval "A" & "C" Schools CSTSC Mare Island, Vallejo, Cal.
Basic Elect. School, San Diego, Cal.
FLEASWTRACENLANT Norfolk, VA
FLETRAULANT Norfolk, Va
NAVPHIBSCOL Little Creek, Va

#23 ·
I feel old everytime I think about how my favorite port of call, Subic Bay, is closed and got covered by volcanic ash...

:(

Being stationed on a West Pac for two years, I've seen things that most of my friends can't even comprehend. Port calls in Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, South Korea, Phillipines, numerous places in Japan (climbed Mt. Fuji for kicks once), Australia (Shellback X2), and the ever-forgetable Diego Garcia.

Never got to make a Med cruise. Thought my now ex-wife needed me in Ohio. Shoulda stayed in. Did get to spend two lovely weeks in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, tho. Only outdoor walk-in movie theatre I've ever seen.

Hm. Too many memories... I do miss the open ocean.

#25 ·
US Army 69-71 and like OS and 205, a 101st Airborne member based at Camp Eagle, ROV:cool: Ist Battalion, 506th infantry. Luckily, transfered to a recon platoon after six months in country, a decision that probably saved my butt! Lost 80 members of D co (which I'd just transfered from) when firebase Ripcord was overrun:eek: Again, luckily, I was on R&R in Hong kong that week. The Good Lord was definitely holding my hand during that worst year of my young life.....TF

#26 ·
The gentleman on whose land I have the privilege to hunt just returned from a year's duty in Kosovo. He is a Lt. Col. in the Ohio Army National Guard, and though he's been in the Guard for many years, this was his first deployment ever. He will be retiring soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.