Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Elyria over the weekend at a buddy's house and got to talking with his neighbor, a long-time farmer. He told me a story about how he witnessed the ODNR, with the use of a helicopter, dropping burlap sacks into one of his fields. Upon his discovery that the sacks contained rattlesnakes (10-12 of them) he shot and killed all of them. He said a day later, the ODNR showed up at his house asking for an explanation and subsequently sued him for his actions. He said this happened about 9-10 yrs ago.

Having no clue why the ODNR would do this and, in addition, having no reason to believe this farmer would lie about something so random, I did some looking on the internet. Seems like there are all kinds of similar stories around 2002 and widely conceived as rumor.

After hearing this first-hand, Im curious if anyone has ever heard anything about this?

·
Banned
624 Posts
I found this on a Military.com forum:

Ohio magazine:
"Officials from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources have been hard-pressed to squelch a rumor thats seems to have been around longer than that of Big Foot. For decades there has been a circulating story in southeastern Ohio that the ODNR has been secretly dropping Timber Rattlesnakes, an endangered species in Ohio, into that area during the night. Officials deny any of it is true and cant seem to pinpoint the rumors source, either."
Maybe your farmer friend is the source, eh?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
theres been rumors for years that odnr has dropped em out of helicopters in balloons...the odnr denies ever doing it...:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ah ha, so that's why they sell snake boots in Ohio!?! Now it all makes perfect sense.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not saying I believe this guy:coco:--just curious if anyone had heard the same and for what reasons that they would even consider doing it.

·
Banned
624 Posts
It seems that the story goes that ODNR was just trying to reintroduce an endangered species into an old habitat. However, I also read where they were dropped by parachute.

You first have to ask yourself if you've ever heard of such a way to "salt" an area with some animal. Then you have to ask if ODNR would even have the money to pay for a helicopter to do this.

(This reminds me of when Mr. Carlson on "WKRP" tossed out domestic turkeys at Thanksgiving and SWORE that he thought that they could fly.)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Summer, 1974, Ft. Polk, LA:

101st Abn Div (AASLT), TF Eagle, B/101AHB, training among the local Brahma steers. It's O:dark30 when I hear Kingsman 23 (unit IP) launch to "check weather" (read: whether or not we want to fly in this crap!) He immediately aborts the takeoff, so the rest of our REMFs figure they're entitled to a few more Zs.

What actually happened was the AC saw a snake in his chin bubble while the P was making an ITO! Nothing good can come of that, so he grabs the stick and plants it right back down. The CE and gunner tried everything to facilitate no-legs' egress, finally succeeding after a long burst from the hand-held fire extinguisher. They re-launched several coffees, and maybe something stronger, later.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Fort Puke, LA... the armpit of the nation. Took my basic there.

When we qualified on M-14s, we did it on a range with pre-dug foxholes to shoot from. Of course, we were advised to check the holes before jumping in as snakes loved them. If a snake did get found, the Drill Sergeants had dibs claiming that they were good eatin'.

The only other snake/helicopter situation that I ever came across was hearing how one of our slick drivers (92nd AHC, 10th Aviation Battalion, 1st Aviation Brigade) found a cobra curled up under his aircraft one morning in Viet Nam. Surprise...surprise (as Gomer would say).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts