Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound like a stupid question, but I have always wondered......when using a smith's sharpener (or something similar) do you start at the tip (top) of the broadhead and pull down OR start at the bottom of the blade and pull toward the tip? Or does it matter?

I am shooting the montec G5 carbon steels and even though they are pretty sharp out of the package, I like to hit each blade a few times with the sharpener.

Thoughts? I have tried doing it both ways and it seems like i get a better edge if I pull from the bottom to the tip

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Hey Darron. I would thinj you would want to go from the front to the back, working the blade into the stone. Going the other way probably feels sharper because its pushing a thin burr up. After running them on the stone try running them over the back of an old leather belt. Not pushing the cutting edge into the belt but starting at the back of the cutting edge and going toward the cut edge. This is how I sharpen my old school Bear Razorheads I use with my recurve. Hopes this helps. The leather will remove the burrs.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
With my setup, I run from the point to the back on one side and then the back to the point on the other side. I use two blade zwickey's. It seems to remove the burr and they're super sharp.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts