Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts
You must real hate archery equipment. The ultimate silent poacher's tool.
No.

A bow takes more practice and has less range than a rifle. It's much easier for an idiot with a silenced rifle to shoot a deer across a field out the window of a truck than it is for a person to do the same thing with a bow.

I hope you can understand the difference between a silenced rifle and bow, if you can't......

I say "NO"

Poaching is bad enough, why make it easier?

Although, if you are poaching now, and doing something illegal you could use a silencer now too, why be "less" illegal?

I wouldn't mind it legal for yotes and pigs, but doing that just gives poachers an out when caught in the woods.

As it stands now the GW hears "bang" and goes to see who made the sound, a silencer would make their job harder.
<rant>
We should also...
Ban the use of spotlights for hunting because poachers use them. (Sorry **** hunters and all other lawful night hunters)
Ban the use of ATV's because poachers use them. (Sorry mobility impaired folks or pretty much anyone else who is physically unable to drag a deer)
Ban the carry of cell phones and radios because poachers use them. (Sorry to everyone who will ever be lost, stranded or in need of medical assistance)
Ban the use of suppressors because poachers use them. (Sorry law abiding suppressor owners who are also law abiding hunters that subjected to fingerprints, background checks, the $200 tax stamp and horrendous waiting period)

Good logic! I am sure there are a lot more things we should eliminate in order to protect ourselves from the temptation of criminal activity. Every one of us should be protected from ourselves in this manner. Just as a precaution of course. Consequences to the law abiding be damned because it's for the greater good. Yee Haw!

Here is one more.
We should definitely ban those evil black rifles and high capacity magazines because crazy people and criminals have a nasty habit of slaughtering innocent people with them. (Sorry law abiding gun owners)
</rant>

You must really hate archery equipment. The ultimate silent poacher's tool.
x2-

New High Tech Crossbows can kill up to 80-90 yards.......

<rant>
We should also...
Ban the use of spotlights for hunting because poachers use them. (Sorry **** hunters and all other lawful night hunters)
Ban the use of ATV's because poachers use them. (Sorry mobility impaired folks or pretty much anyone else who is physically unable to drag a deer)
Ban the carry of cell phones and radios because poachers use them. (Sorry to everyone who will ever be lost, stranded or in need of medical assistance)
Ban the use of suppressors because poachers use them. (Sorry law abiding suppressor owners who are also law abiding hunters that subjected to fingerprints, background checks, the $200 tax stamp and horrendous waiting period)

Good logic! I am sure there are a lot more things we should eliminate in order to protect ourselves from the temptation of criminal activity. Every one of us should be protected from ourselves in this manner. Just as a precaution of course. Consequences to the law abiding be damned because it's for the greater good. Yee Haw!

Here is one more.
We should definitely ban those evil black rifles and high capacity magazines because crazy people and criminals have a nasty habit of slaughtering innocent people with them. (Sorry law abiding gun owners)
</rant>
Amen-

Buckeye Dan,

I didn't say anthing about any of those other things at all. Nice of you to try to put words in my mouth, you bigoted moron.

I said nothing of changing any current regs, just to not add this one.

It was simply my opinion, just because it does not match your near sighted uneducated opinion does not mean it's a wrong opinion.

Buckeye Dan,

I didn't say anthing about any of those other things at all. Nice of you to try to put words in my mouth, you bigoted moron.

I said nothing of changing any current regs, just to not add this one.

It was simply my opinion, just because it does not match your near sighted uneducated opinion does not mean it's a wrong opinion.
I wasn't putting words in anyone's mouth. I used your argument and logic regarding suppressors to make a comparison to other suitable items. Look up the definition for the word "analogy".

Bigot? I guess I'll give you that one. But that term is only accurate because of my knowledge of this subject. Moron, near sighted, uneducated? You obviously do not know me.

Here is State Senator Tim Schaffer getting educated on this subject at the shooting range that I manage. If you would bother to do the same, I think your opinion might change.

No worries however. It's too late for your opinion to matter because the final Senate committee hearing was this morning. Only two people gave opponent testimony and they were both inner city women that knew about as much as you probably do about suppressors and this subject in general. So your opinion was represented in spite of your absence. :p

Attachments

You obviously don't know me at all, you have no idea where I've been andwhat I know. I know plenty on the subject. I'm also educated enough to look atboth sides of this subject, while are not educated to enough to do so andsimply only see it from your own point of "I sure would like to hunt deerwith a silencer" And that's it, that's the ONLY say you have on thesubject.

The Moron part, I feel was correct, you have yet to prove otherwise, itcoincides with the uneducated part. The nearsighted, also correct as you refuseto see anything in front of you other than your own opinion.

As for you analogies, just plain bad, each subject has nothing to do withthe subject at hand. You are basically saying, in football terms "thatsince a first down is 10 yards then the players should have to wear elbowpads." that is how bad your analogies were.

Here's something I hope you can grasp, read it slowly and a couple of timesif need be, I'll keep the words small:

I go out to feed the chickens one evening in the summer, I hear a shot backin my woods, I make a phone call to the Sheriff's dept. and we find a truck onthe backside of the property and that truck leads us to a guy dragging a deer.

Now imagine Suppressors are a legal hunting implement and more people havethem. I go out to feed the chickens one evening, all is quiet, meanwhile a guywith a silencer has just poached a deer nearby unknown to all and he gets awayand does it again, and again and again.

Poaching is already bad in this state, it will be worse if more people beginto get a hold of these. Like I said before, it's much easier to shoot a deer at200yds across a field with a suppressed rifle from a truck than it is with abow.

I would love to see the use of suppressors for the hunting of Coyotes orHogs, as you can often see more than one at a time and that would open up theopportunity to rid the ecosystem of more than one of these pests at a time.However, I do not want it to be able to be used as an out for a poacher thatgets pulled over while driving around looking for deer. He can simply state he is looking forCoyotes.

Poaching is already bad in this state, it will be worse if more people beginto get a hold of these. Like I said before, it's much easier to shoot a deer at200yds across a field with a suppressed rifle from a truck than it is with abow.
It is already legal to possess suppressors so what is it that is stopping your poachers from using them, the fact that they aren't legal to use to hunt?

You obviously don't know me at all, you have no idea where I've been andwhat I know. I know plenty on the subject. I'm also educated enough to look atboth sides of this subject, while are not educated to enough to do so andsimply only see it from your own point of "I sure would like to hunt deerwith a silencer" And that's it, that's the ONLY say you have on thesubject.

The Moron part, I feel was correct, you have yet to prove otherwise, itcoincides with the uneducated part. The nearsighted, also correct as you refuseto see anything in front of you other than your own opinion.

As for you analogies, just plain bad, each subject has nothing to do withthe subject at hand. You are basically saying, in football terms "thatsince a first down is 10 yards then the players should have to wear elbowpads." that is how bad your analogies were.

Here's something I hope you can grasp, read it slowly and a couple of timesif need be, I'll keep the words small:

I go out to feed the chickens one evening in the summer, I hear a shot backin my woods, I make a phone call to the Sheriff's dept. and we find a truck onthe backside of the property and that truck leads us to a guy dragging a deer.

Now imagine Suppressors are a legal hunting implement and more people havethem. I go out to feed the chickens one evening, all is quiet, meanwhile a guywith a silencer has just poached a deer nearby unknown to all and he gets awayand does it again, and again and again.

I would love to see the use of suppressors for the hunting of Coyotes orHogs, as you can often see more than one at a time and that would open up theopportunity to rid the ecosystem of more than one of these pests at a time.However, I do not want it to be able to be used as an out for a poacher thatgets pulled over while driving around looking for deer. He can simply state he is looking forCoyotes.
Your feeding the chickens story and not hearing the shot causes me to question your experience with suppressed firearms.

What suppressed firearms have you been exposed to in the real world? I ask this because the only combination of rifle, suppressor and ammunition that would make your scenario plausible, the poacher is more likely wounding deer and probably would have been better off using a modern crossbow at the effective range of the ammo.

Your feeding the chickens story and not hearing the shot causes me to question your experience with suppressed firearms.

What suppressed firearms have you been exposed to in the real world? I ask this because the only combination of rifle, suppressor and ammunition that would make your scenario plausible, the poacher is more likely wounding deer and probably would have been better off using a modern crossbow at the effective range of the ammo.
:yeahthat: There is still very much a crack coming from a firearm with these things on. the only time i've heard something near complete silence was a semi auto 22 pistol shooting shorts with one. i have an acquaintance who has an AR platform with one. Literally the noise is only cut in half, maaaybe a little less.... at least thats what my ears are picking up when we shoot it.

On TV They dont make a sound. lol. :coco: The only thing i could see using them for is tree rats.

Exactly!!!

Not to debate the wisdom of your argument (I would not know where to start), I accept that you are entitled to your opinion. But PLEASE either fix your "space" key which obviously sticks or replace your keypad so as to make it easier for someone who is desperately searching for the logic amongst your words.

When it soon becomes law, life will go on. Remember concealed carry law and " the streets will run red with blood" argument. It's always the same with you "the sky is falling" people.

I need to correct a couple of errors from my previous post.

November the 12th was not the final Senate committee hearing for HB234. It will have at least one more hearing November 19th. It is marked for a possible vote after that hearing however.

Also the two opponents that appeared on 11/12/14 were not both women. It was one male and one female.

According to the map, Ohio has a lot of catching up to do to be comparable to most of the country in the hunting arena.

It's pretty obvious it's been a non-issue in other states that has allowed suppressors for hunting, since the media would have taken it to the extreme if it did, in some "misunderstood" way.

You obviously have not been around or used suppressors much. I have a suppressor that i can put on my AR, my .308, or 300 whisper (blackout). Even with the subsonic loads in the blackout, (the quietest of the 3) my neighbor buddy that lives 3/4 of a mile down the road knows when I am out shooting, and will grab his guns and come join me.

You should maybe watch a few less movies, and get some actual experience with suppressors. The guns are still plenty loud.

And the most ignorant idea you have is that if it is illegal to use them for hunting, that a poacher will actually obey the law and not use one. A poacher is going to poach whether a suppressor is legal or not. That's kind of like believing that a "no guns" sign on a business will stop all firearm related robberies.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.