Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone....over the weekend I bought a new 3 pin sight. This is the first time I have ever had to sight in a new sight. Im happy with where Im hitting at 20 yards, but here is my question:

Its time to move to 30 yards and then 40 yards. To get dialed in at 30 and 40 yards do I only adjust the pins themselves and not the up and down movement of the sight itself?

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Hello everyone....over the weekend I bought a new 3 pin sight. This is the first time I have ever had to sight in a new sight. Im happy with where Im hitting at 20 yards, but here is my question:

Its time to move to 30 yards and then 40 yards. To get dialed in at 30 and 40 yards do I only adjust the pins themselves and not the up and down movement of the sight itself?

Thank you for your input.
pins - if ya move the whole sight ya will lose your 20 yard zero - dang :whistle::mischeif:

might have to move the whole thing and start over at 20 depending on where everything was positioned when ya started -

·
Registered
207 Posts
Haha I found this very funny..Not making fun of you at all but years ago Truenorth that is exactly something I would have done. "Why the hell is my 20 off now?!"...

Yeah you just move the pins. You might have to move the whole sighting though so that all of your pins can be sighted in as geezer said.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you using it to hunt site it in as you would be hunting. If from a stand then from a stand, if you think close shots will be made then site in for that. Things change when your up in a tree and that's were it counts.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
What I do is set my middle pin(whichever it may be) in the middle of my housing an sight it in first..For you it sounds like you 30 pin..Set it in the middle housing an use the housing to adjust it for wind-age an elevation..Then set your pins above it an below it,by moving the pins individually..My setup is a little more complicated because its a 3 pin head on a slider frame,but the principle is the same..I dont set pins from a treestand or elevated platform,but I do check and see where I need to aim to get the POI I want from a elevated platform inside 15 or 20yrds....Mine is pretty straight forward until about 12 or 13yrds,inside that its getting tricky.,,It isn't a set thing or standard ,as arrow speed an individual form flaws from one shooter to another can effect it..

·
Registered
295 Posts
When hunting from a tree, you base your yardage estimate on the horizontal distance from the tree to the target (If not hunting from a tree on a hillside, this would be base of tree to the target distance)

Or purchase a new range finder with the built in calculations!

·
Registered
102 Posts
What I do is set my middle pin(whichever it may be) in the middle of my housing an sight it in first..For you it sounds like you 30 pin..Set it in the middle housing an use the housing to adjust it for wind-age an elevation..Then set your pins above it an below it,by moving the pins individually..My setup is a little more complicated because its a 3 pin head on a slider frame,but the principle is the same..I dont set pins from a treestand or elevated platform,but I do check and see where I need to aim to get the POI I want from a elevated platform inside 15 or 20yrds....Mine is pretty straight forward until about 12 or 13yrds,inside that its getting tricky.,,It isn't a set thing or standard ,as arrow speed an individual form flaws from one shooter to another can effect it..
I agree with ole mossy oak. You get your middle pin dialed in a 30 yds, say hitting a 4 inch circle, by moving your pin housing aorund to get that. from there on, adjust your individual pin heights to get dead on. before ya know it, you'll be driving tacks with stick shooter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts