Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should pistol caliber rifles be legalized for deer hunting in Ohio?

Submitted by cbaus on Tue, 07/31/2012 - 07:00.

Editor's Note: The following article was originally published in the Ohio Farm Bureau's official newsletter, Buckeye Farm News. Republished with permission.

Here's a debate taking place in Ohio's hunting community. Ohio Farm Bureau currently doesn't have a position on this issue. What do you think?

Legalize pistol caliber rifles

Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania all allow rifle hunting in one form or another, the Buckeye Firearms Association noted in a proposal to legalize pistol caliber rifles for deer hunting in Ohio.

But the organization is quick to point out that these guns are not high powered rifles.

"There is a negative perception with pistol caliber rifles because people don't get past the word rifle without thinking high powered," said Dan Allen, a Buckeye Firearms volunteer.

According to Aaron Kirkingburg, a Buckeye Firearms leader, pistol caliber rifles are similar to pistols, with a longer barrel and a stock for stability. The group acknowledges that perception is an issue and that some education will be necessary.

"This is a tool for keeping the deer population under control and the pistol cartridge rifle is an easy, effective and inexpensive tool that appeals to many," Kirkingburg said.

"These guns have a reduced recoil and are lighter, which appeals to women, youth and those with medical conditions," Allen said. "My father has a pacemaker; therefore, he cannot use a shotgun, but he could use a pistol caliber rifle."

They also emphasized that private property owners have the final say of what hunters can use when hunting on their property.

"Ultimately the decision is up to the property owner, and if they don't want hunting on their property with pistol caliber rifles they can make that a rule for their property," Allen said.

Concerns

Ohio Department of Natural Resources' Division of Wildlife is concerned that legalizing these guns will lower access to private property because of the misconception that these are high powered rifles.

"Currently in Ohio you can hunt with pistols. What folks are pushing for is 'why can't we hunt with pistol cartridges in rifle form? Let's put it on our shoulder rather than in our hand,'" said Mike Tonkovich, Division of Wildlife state deer project leader.

"It's about perception because we are very concerned about access to private property. We've done a lot of work with Farm Bureau trying to increase access to private property, which is where most of the deer are in the state and we don't want to compromise that by misinforming the public that Ohio has legalized rifles," he said.

Tonkovich wants landowners who are allowing hunters on their property to study the issue.

"I don't see this as a way to effectively manage our deer herd by legalizing these rifles," he said. "The positive side of it will be that it would keep hunters in the game that may not otherwise and may add some younger hunters."

Current Source: http://www.buckeyefi...s.org/node/8454
Original Source: http://ofbf.org/news...ents/news/2676/

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have no issue with it so long as they do not provide another season for it.
We have so many silly gun seasons now that I have to set alerts in my phone so that I know when to slap on some orange while bowhunting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey all just got a question about this. What are the ballistics of these "pistol caliber rifles". Reason I ask is could this give poachers an upper hand with range? If so I'd say I am not to keen on it. If there is little difference between the rifles and a slug from a shotgun I say go for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I've been told its very difficult to plug a rifle to limit to 3 shots.:whistle:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been told its very difficult to plug a rifle to limit to 3 shots.:whistle:
The proposal contains: "Compliance for 3 shot rule using dummy rounds, or similar "simple" fix."

Also of note is Marlin, Winchester and Henry have been consulted. Henry agreed to ship their rifles in compliance with the 3 shot rule. Winchester and Marlin have yet to respond.

I prefer the dummy round solution. We could work on the ODNR to allow the use of the Circuit Judge too. The cylinder uses a removable plastic plug for 2 of the chambers but it does not meet the criteria for plugged because it does not require disassembly.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
The proposal contains: "Compliance for 3 shot rule using dummy rounds, or similar "simple" fix."

Also of note is Marlin, Winchester and Henry have been consulted. Henry agreed to ship their rifles in compliance with the 3 shot rule. Winchester and Marlin have yet to respond.

I prefer the dummy round solution. We could work on the ODNR to allow the use of the Circuit Judge too. The cylinder uses a removable plastic plug for 2 of the chambers but it does not meet the criteria for plugged because it does not require disassembly.
as long as its kept in the regular firearms season and not another gun encroachment into archery season...i care less...and might even try it...but i doubt it,i love my muzz...it can be loaded to kick easy too and be super deadly on deer...:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Any of the lever action rifles with a tubular magazine can be plugged to hold 2 rounds in the mag with ease. Forget the dummy rounds. Nobody will abide with that. The fix should require disassembly to undo as per shotgun regs. Forget the Judge and my sweet Ruger .44 Mag bolt gun with rotory mag. Just be thankful to use what you can by existing regs.

Now, let me through this one out there. My 14 inch Contender single shot is chambered for the straight walled .375 Winchester and I have one chambered for the .45-70. Both are legal for Ohio deer hunting.

Can these same legal pistol rounds be used in a single shot rifle or a plugged Marlin rifle?:mischeif::whistle:

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
A very high percentage of deer killed in gun season are killed with pistol type bullets from either saboted shotguns or saboted muzzleloaders.
So....why not just use said shotgun or muzzeloader?:bouncy:

In all seriousness, there are plenty of options already available. To me this just adds to the list of regulations the WO's will have to try and enforce. The general public won't know the difference between a high power and a pistol caliber. So the WO will be responding to calls about legit hunters who the public think are law breakers.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Any of the lever action rifles with a tubular magazine can be plugged to hold 2 rounds in the mag with ease. Forget the dummy rounds. Nobody will abide with that. The fix should require disassembly to undo as per shotgun regs. Forget the Judge and my sweet Ruger .44 Mag bolt gun with rotory mag. Just be thankful to use what you can by existing regs.

Now, let me through this one out there. My 14 inch Contender single shot is chambered for the straight walled .375 Winchester and I have one chambered for the .45-70. Both are legal for Ohio deer hunting.

Can these same legal pistol rounds be used in a single shot rifle or a plugged Marlin rifle?:mischeif::whistle:
No, they are originally rifle rounds and are considered " High Powered ".

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, they are originally rifle rounds and are considered " High Powered ".
Incorrect.
There are a lot of cartridges that were originally rifle rounds. Those two meet the criteria for a currently legal pistol cartridge and would be allowed under original pistol caliber regulations.

The ODNR Directive regarding this subject can be found here as a PDF:
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/publicfiles/Legal-Deer-Cartridges.pdf

Now that does not mean that restrictions would not be used for pistol caliber rifles. Possibly a list of specific calibers that are allowed. Perhaps what Indiana did by imposing specific measurement limitations. There is room for compromise in this area but that was never part of the original proposals.

Also there would be no extra season. The pistol caliber rifles would be treated like any other firearm currently allowed for use in the regular deer gun season. If your pocket book is big enough you can already shoot firearms that outperform or are equal to anything that meets the ODNR pistol caliber criteria when fired from a pistol rifle.

The problem here is public perception of the word "rifle" and the possibility of hunting lands being denied because of it. Not cosmetics, ballistics, capacity or safety. We're using look-a-likes, we can limit capacity, ballistics are already inferior to what is legal and safety is dependent on the hunter which is uncontrollable in some part.

Pistol caliber rifles did not get to inherit their titles and performance perceptions like "muzzle loaders" and "shotguns". Pistol caliber rifles are just rifles to most people. People that are unaware of what shotguns and muzzle loaders have become still equate the word "rifle" to be something bad. Even if they are inferior.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i'm getting the feeling this is going to pass...if the odnr is wanting to work on getting people to accept it...they did that with sunday hunting...slowly working up to full bore...i see this happening here...i'm ok with it...i may have to try it...i agree with the 3 shot restriction too...:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts