Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So i am considering buying a .243 or .308 rifle. What does everyone recommend as far a manufactures, bullet types and grains. I buy all of my ammo from a local gun store. But, Still would like everyone's recommendations?

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
OF those two I would go with a .308 . The .243 is a good deer rifle but the .308 has more knock down power and could also be a better cal if you ever want to go for anything bigger than deer . !50 grain soft point bullet works fine for deer and pigs . My friend shoots the Hornady whitetail in his .308 and it works fine on pigs and they are much tougher than deer . He also used it for bear '

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I would suggest getting a few different brands of ammo and seeing what shoots best out of your rifle . in my opinion the
Weatherby Vanguard is the best rifle in it's price range even if it's not made in the USA

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Not trying to talk you out of one of those two cals . But my favorite short action round is the in between of those 2 , the 7MM08 . It carries it's energy better than the .306 past 300 yards . And can take any north American game but not recommended for the big brown bears . I have personally taken 2 black bears 1 in the 500 pound range and a slew of wild pigs with it . And my wife has taken a bunch of game including Oryx , Blue wildebeest ,Zebra and Eland with it .
Now the 2 cons of the round is it cost a little more and it's not in every store .

·
Registered
201 Posts
The .308 for its availability and it’s versatility. I suggest checking out Howa 1500’s weatherby and Savage

·
Registered
948 Posts
I went through this exact thing a couple of years ago and Catchdog was a great help. I was set on the 7mm-08 after doing a ton of research, until the ammo shortages came along. I was able to find 308 easily when I bought my rifle. However, 7mm-08 was one of the first ones I saw come back fairly quickly. My guess is because it's not as popular as other rounds. I love my Ruger American in 308 and it's put one deer down so far.

If I were buying today, with today's ammo availability, I'd get the 7mm-08 but stock up on ammo because we know it won't get any cheaper. My go to round for the 308/30-06 was 150gr Federal Fusion which was $23.99/box last year, it's now $39.99/box. I'm going to check Hornady American Whitetail in my gun, which it's not picky so it should shoot fine, to see how they do. I've killed multiple deer with it in 350 Legend and it's amazing.

SW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts