Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Dead Ringer Beard Buster sight for my Rem 870. Expect to get in the mail this weekend. Looking forward to trying it out. Anybody have any experience with this sight? Have another sight you like? Won't get to try mine out until next weekend.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just read an article that suggests using a two bead set up. The author thought the beads would get you close enough on a stationery bird and allow you to swing on a moving or flying bird. I am hoping the field of view through the Beard Buster will be wide enough to allow me to lead a moving bird if need be.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
43 Posts
What other sights do some of you guys use? Looking at a red dot versus a simmons pro diamond or something like a traditional scope that'll zoom.

Looking for pros and cons. Obviously COST is a major difference between these two options with the red dot being about $30 and the Simmons being $95 or so. Probably other scopes that would be cheaper than the simmons.

Heck, I'm certainly NOT opposed to just using the fiber optic glo sights that came on the Mossberg 535. Seemed to be fine when patterning. I noticed it, or I, shot a little high but I think that was more ME than the sights.

Would like to hear what you guys think, use, reasons.

Happy Resurrection Day, Guys.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Never heard of a dead ringer. Virtually every turkey I have decked, was a 30 yard shot at one near standing still. A scope is not needed nor do you need a red dot. fiber optic on a vent rib is plenty good enough with a 2 ounce load.

I do use a 21" vr turkey barrel on the 870 which I think is a real advantage over swinging a std 28" barrel

·
5,040 Posts
DSCN1797.jpg

This is my Turkey Killer! 870 supermag, 23 inch barrel, and a Carlson's .660 non ported choke tube. I've got the Mueller Quik sight on it, it's a holographic type sight, As I'm getting older the fiber optics seem to be getting fuzzy:whistle: This sight seems clear and bright with either eye.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Unfortunately, these ringer look like plastic and my luck with plastic sights has been very poor. I had the front sight on a knight muzzle loader break off just pulling the gun out of a case.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Natchez shooting supply has a great deal on Nikon BDC turkey scopes..that scope normally is near the $300.00 range most places and very few are going to pay that but they are on sale now to any state that does not touch tenn. for $119.00. you'll never beat that anywhere. They are brand new, clearer than any turkey scope I've ever seen..better get a move on, time is short.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Natchez shooting supply has a great deal on Nikon BDC turkey scopes..that scope normally is near the $300.00 range most places and very few are going to pay that but they are on sale now to any state that does not touch tenn. for $119.00. you'll never beat that anywhere. They are brand new, clearer than any turkey scope I've ever seen..better get a move on, time is short.
Frank, is that the Nikon Turkey Pro BTR? If it is, I've never seen that low of a price! A great deal, for sure!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion for a really cheap ie 30.00 red dot? not to trusting of my jacked up fiber optics at the moment, and I don't want to mount absolute garbage on a 3 1/2 monster. I'm not expecting Leapold quality here, but it needs to last me a season or two of hard hunting. Any of the low end brands that stick out for durability?

·
5,040 Posts
I had a Tasco for the last two years, never had any problems with it, Just always worried me with the thumping it was taking from the 3 1/2's.

·
Registered
348 Posts
DUKE...yes it is, the good one and not only is it 119.00 but they also give you $10 off at their store..so it's really $109.00..your right you'll never beat it for such quality and ohio hunters can get it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought one in February at the Deer and Turkey Spectacular. Just killed two Toms with it in TN. Loved the site, I followed the directions on the package as far as what way "most" people like to mount it. Excellent site recognition and easy to look through and follow their little head in the circle. I originally was considering putting a scope on but after my first hunt I'll never need another site. Good Luck, Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts