Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mossberg 500 combo package and I was exploring putting a scope on for deer season this year. I've never been one to put scopes on shotguns but I shot my buddy's and loved it.

Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive yet durable scope that would be good for me?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a Burris in my mossberg 500 and liked it but I'm trying a red dot now instead.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Personally I would look at Voretx or Alpen optics(that goes for most optic needs)...Both carry a NO FAULT warranty(no fault,no receipt needed,no questions asked)..And both make scope at the bottom of the price range up to the..Vortex Crossfire II series starts at about 100$ an goes up as ya change specs an reticles..Alpen Kodiak series starts at about 60-75$ an goes up......As far as actual support on product issue's,I have the utmost confidence in vortex..Alpen I cant say either way..Being the recoil a shotgun creates,I think a solid warranty an service is a good idea

What specs do ya want ?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
What you want is a long eye relief scope, usually advertised as a shotgun scope. bleeding eyebrows can screw up a 2nd shot. a 12 gauge had enough recoil to ruin cheaper scopes, like breaking lens or cross hairs.

Personally, red dot scopes are no good for shots over 50 yards. the further away, the more the red dot expands and accuracy goes down hill fast unless you can adjust the size of the dot very quickly.

·
22,524 Posts
Buy the best glass you can afford. Never skimp on optics. They will pay dividends in the long run. Go with the mfg's that back their product like Luepold with their lifetime warranty. Of all that I have bought from them, I have had to send only one in-and they took care of it immediately.

Fin-Feather-Fur has a 3x9x40 Luepold right now on sale for $179.99, and that is a very good price. I like the larger lens objectives(40-50mm) because they gather/allow more light and will be benefcial in low-light conditions(Dawn and Dusk).

There are several good mfg's out there worth looking into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I appreciate all the help. I hope to get out this weekend and shop for a few. I'm unsure what specs I want yet.

I'll be sure to post brands/prices I find. I would like to spend between $100-$200

I'll defiantly keep an eye out for the 3x9x40 Luepold.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Don't put bushnell out of the equation I have the banner 3x9x40 on ny muzz an love it

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
leupold and nikon make very good shotgun scopes. I like the 2x7x32 because 2 power is great for that 10 - 20 yard shot. It doesnt make the deer just a big brown blob and 7 power is plenty for deer size game out to 300 yards IMO. leupold has a better eye relief. I have both and I like the leupold better because of the better eye relief.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
as for Bushnell, realize they make el cheapo models(sportview) and better quality models.
The older Banner models (1970's) tend to be very good dependable scopes. What I like for an ohio deer shotgun or muzzle loader is the 1 1/2 to 4 power variable. The one and 1/2 setting is just right for a moving deer or still hunting. .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure what constitutes low cost in your mind BUT I ll offer another vote for the 2X7 Leupold. Have had one on my 870 with Hastings for about fifteen years and love it.

Rich

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot on my shotgun, makes for very fast target acquisition.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kvandy, IMO Nikon shotgun scope 2-7x with the BDC reticle. Leupold is another excellent choice and for me personally I hate bushnell products. Bowbean

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'll second the busnell products great line up for the average Joe!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not sure what constitutes low cost in your mind BUT I ll offer another vote for the 2X7 Leupold. Have had one on my 870 with Hastings for about fifteen years and love it.

Rich
x2. Got the same exact setup that Rich mentions. Be careful going to high of a power on the bottom side. Have seen guys make bad shots on very close deer with the power too high. 1.5 to 2 power is perfect for close range or moving animals. The 7 power is very nice for longer distance or even checking out deer that are out of range. Have always been a big fan of Leupolds but have heard good things about the top line Nikons. I would not go any "lower" than those. Seen too many cheap scopes break over time. Not saying they all will but odds increase when you start trying to save a few bucks on your optics.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts