Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Here is a article I wrote for my online blog the other day, thought some might enjoy the read. I also provided a pic of Shorty if you didn't see my harvest post.

You can read the edited harvest story of Shorty here:http://truvisionoutdoors.com/corey/2012/03/22/the-story-of-a-deer-named-shorty/

Yesterday I took Shorty to my local taxidermist. I've thought for years that If I was able to harvest a whitetail that I had so much history with and a whitetail that meant so much to me, that I would send the cape and rack of to some high dollar and world renowned taxidermist. So in the months since harvesting Shorty I have talked to many taxidermists, visited shops, searched online and attended the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo to inspect award winning work from across the state. What I found is there is a number of good taxidermist and some that don't even deserve the title.
After all my research, I was comfortable returning to John Garren at Pine Ridge Taxidermy located in Logan, Ohio. Pine Ridge has received and completed my last three Ohio trophy bucks. I feel his work is as good as any in the country. His attention to detail in the nose/eye sockets and perfect blend of coloring, Is what I believe, separates him from many. John has won his share of Ohio accreditation. The awards, trophies and titles fill the walls of his studio.

Once the Taxidermist has been chosen, still many questions remain.
What form and pose to choose? For me I break taxidermy forms down into two categories, Traditional and Non-Traditional.

A traditional form would be any pose that is up-right or semi sneak. In these forms you can get a wide variety of left, right or straight poses. I'll admit that I don't like a up-right, straight from. It is probably the most common form used but personally, I find that pose very un-natural and awkward looking. If you like a up-right form, I would suggest going with a gentle left or right turn. A semi-sneak form is very natural looking and probably the most versatile. Both up-right and semi-sneak forms are available in off-set or full shoulder. Forms are also available for a flush wall mount or pedestal mounts.

A Non-traditional from would be a full sneak, head down, head up or any form with sharp neck curves, open mouth or lip curl. These forms have gained popularity in recent years and are becoming more and more common. I call them non-traditional because they weren't available twenty years ago. Also, because they are not the mounts you see hanging in old hunting cabins across the country.

For a catalog with all the varieties of forms available you can request a catalog at www.mckenziesp.com. This free catalog from McKenzie Supply Company is a very handy book to have laying around in any hunters trophy room.

With all these available forms and choices, how do you make the decision for that once in a lifetime trophy? Choosing a form for your trophy can be a difficult decision. For the hunter that is indecisive and can find making a decision hard, Let me make these suggestions.

Pick a form that depicts what the animal was doing before the harvest. This approach will help you remember the details of the hunt and help better describe the hunt as you share the memories with others.

Another option is choosing a form based on how the mount will be fitted into your home decor. If your trophy will be displayed in a corner, pick a form that turns away from that corner. If the mount will be the focal point of a room, pick a form where the whitetail will be looking at the main entry.These tips may sound very obvious but do require some thought and pre-planning.

Lastly a form can be chosen to highlight a certain aspect of a whitetails rack. A few years ago, I shot a 171 inch drop-tine buck. I chose a left head turn to exaggerate his big, forked 12 inch drop tine. The same can be done for any feature your looking to expose.

With all these choices, picking a fitting taxidermist and from can be a daunting task. But I feel it is a good problem to have. In the end and after considering the many options I chose a up-right, right turn pedestal mount. I made my decision based on a combination of factors noted above. John informed me that my mount will be completed in a month or two. I'm excited to see his work with Shorty and will share the results with everyone at TruVisionOutdoors as soon as Shorty is completed.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts