Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first time post here.I have been reading this topic on sheds for a couple weeks and just had to register to the site to post on this subject.Im a reg. on the bowsite and got word about this site.I love to rack hunt this time of year and got friends that also rack hunt.One of my friends found his first one this morning on his food pile.It was a small 4pt.I have not been out yet but as soon as the snow clears I will go 4-5times a week.I will try to become a regular on this site because I like everything I have seen so far.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
welcome rackman,this site has it all for ohio...and chatroom too...and the topics are not allowed to hurt hunting and fishing...we have some lively but cival discussions from a good cross section of ALL hunters and fisherman,not just from a certain segment...AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DZ and George I didnt want to start a new thread.I thought I was posting under sheds SORRY! Give me time and I will become familiar with this site.But I like what I have seen so far.George I have read your posts here and on the bowsite and can say we will get along just fine.Keep me posted on your shed hunting.My buddy raises whitetails and has around 30 bucks and allmost all have lost their racks so I figure its about time to look.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Welcome to the site. This is valuable information that most have lost their racks, as most of us have been wondering how far they have progressed with this. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
George they are out there just hope the snow dont make it too hard to see them.I might take a look aroud some round bales I saw deer feedind on tomorrow but fields around here still have snow making it hard to glass with binoculars.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
WELL WITH THAT SNOW BEIN ON THE GROUND THIS LONG I'M HOPIN SHEDS WILL BE ON TOP AND EASIER TO SEE THEN WHEN MIXED WITH LEAVES AND BRANCHES CAMOFLAGIN THEM

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
found 1

i found a small 4 point shed right in the middle of a deer bed.....i waas only out 30 minutes....:D

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
George did you find any sheds today???????

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
no but i had about 15-20 deer i was moving ...they would go bout 150yds. in front of me stop and watch what i was doing.boy they are eating the woods up!!!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i got some good exercise for the mountains when i go elk hunting...walked those athens county hills for 5 hrs. straight...gave my new boots a good test too

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
George you made it a longer hunt than I did.My boys and I looked for 2 hrs and called it quits.It was rough dragging a five year old around in that slushy snow.Didnt find the deer sign I was looking for but did see six deer without racks.Im looking for an area tore up beyond belief where you can tell they are spending time every day but the sign I saw was scattered.We get rid of more snow it will be better!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
yes the deer are pawing out areas in the snow and eating sm.twigs off trees as high as they can reach,i will find sheds here soon as they drop.yes the snow made it tough and i feel it today

·
Registered
238 Posts
One of my friends found a shep with 11 points on the one side. not ver big but had a lot of points on it.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
rackman...this is a very good site...welcome.thanks for these posts about the find...gives me confidence and i'll hunt em a little longer and harder...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If we get rid of this snow and ice by weekend I plan on hitting it hard.I watched 23 deer the other night feeding in a field I have had permission on in the past and tonight I saw 17 in another field.Out of all the deer both days only 1 had a rack and im sure because I glassed them for quite a while.That doesnt mean there are not plenty of deer with racks still running around but I feel its worth looking around now.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Although we got a fresh coating of snow today, I'm going to try to actually get out this Saturday. That would be great! I found some last year, hopefully I can find some this year.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts