Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’m new to the forums here but not to hunting. My brother, father and I are looking to hike into Shawnee State Forest, do some primitive camping and hunt some whitetail deer during muzzleloader coming up. We all know this isn’t an easy place to hunt, which is the biggest appeal. I’ve called the office and gotten some info but wanted to see if anyone on here had any advice?

I’m not looking for anybody’s personal honeyholes or where they like to go. More maybe where people like to enter the state forest at? Or maybe if they have done some primitive camping in the park some areas they thought were great to do that? Personally I’m looking forward to waking up and hiking into some new areas, the terrain and change of scenery for hunting is something I’m excited about.

We are really looking forward to getting down there, hiking in and experiencing some different Ohio hunting ground than our normal haunts in Northwest Ohio.

Thanks in advance!

JMT

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Knarly terrain. Bring good packs you
can cut up a deer and strap\tie the meat to. Some of those hollars dragging out isn’t an option. Ask the foresters there where the recent cuttings have been or RX fires. Find this stuff near some good looking private habitat. Don’t forget muzzloader will be buck only there. Take some pics and post a report on here. Have fun.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Use a topo that's all you need.going deep in isn't always the best. Find a steep hill with an oak shelf. Walk straight up the hill and vear to which ever the wind is blowing.. you'll be fine.. if that same side has cover in the valley even better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good Luck, your more than likely see more saw briers than deer's, a lot of the forest has been clear cut. You can get into the forest off of ST. RT. 73 and cross into ST. RT. 125 and from there unto US 52 lots of area to hunt. Park around the Lodge area there a few backpacking trails taking off from there, Odle Creek road off of 125 about half way has a parking area and hiking trails taking off from there, also on 125 look for the private corn fields and find one of the roads that might circle around the back side that in Shawnee forest be a good area . Been hunting there for years it not like it use to be but that another story. By going through the area and hunting, hard to tell what you might see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts