Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

Coming up from South Carolina to do some turkey hunting. How is the Shawnee for turkeys? How much pressure are on the birds? Any info will be appreciated!

Jared

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Where you hunting?
Do you have a specific area in question?
There's birds, but it's rough hunting. Some years are worse than others, I'm predicting the worst year ever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hunted down there last year. Was definetly tough hunting. There were birds dont get me wrong but the terrain is what will get ya. The turkey might only be 100yds away in a straight line but you'll have to walk 2 miles to get to him. Not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
75 Posts
:done of my favorite places to turkey hunt,been turkey huntn since 89. What i like so much about shawnee is its vastness and the beauty of the forest. Granted, it can be difficult terrain for sure,most wont venture far because of it, however there lies the benifit ! Sometimes i hear em in every dir. Other times i dont hear any, go figure ! Imo you will enjoy your hunt, regardless-just hang in there & burn some shoe leather & be safe. Its very easy to get turned around in there,especially if your chaseing a bird. I wised up & bought a etrex gps, bout 75 bucks & brings me back to the truck every time. Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice the terrain does not scare me since in SC when you hunt on public land you must walk to get away from the people and roads. I also would like information on the Wayne National Forest around Ironton. How is the hunting there? Just to let you know if the Georgia and South Carolina seasons are any indication you are in for a treat this year. The birds are very hot gobbling like I have never heard and I have been turkey hunting for 25 years. I have killed two in Georgia and five in SC. GOOD HUNTING GUYS THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
577 Posts
What you may not be used to is the constant up and down in that part of the state. I was flatlander transplant from Florida, and I was used to covering miles in a day of public land to find any birds, much less avoid hunters. It was a big adjustment for me dealing with the terrain in southern Ohio. You're probably in better shape than I was, just be ready for it and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
As well as the green-briers and multi-floral rose, they're ALWAYS a pleasure.
I was just there this weekend stocking my pond and talked to a few buddies; they're sayin seasons already over. I'm sure a few birds will still be killed, but like I said....one of the worst ever.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I disagree on the season being over:whistle: Think the first week will be hot. Birds are ripping off the roost then quiet till bout 1030 and pick it up again from there. Leads me to believe hens are laying eggs and should be setting soon. Should leave some lonely gobblers come first week or so. And this is in the Shawnee area.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think the season will be the same as any other year. It doesn't matter how green it is or how warm it is. Just like the best deer hunting seems to be the first two weeks of Nov. Turkeys are the same it has to do with the amount of daylight and when mother nature decides it's time and you can just about bet it's going to be about the same every year give or take a day or two. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I disagree on the season being over:whistle: Think the first week will be hot. Birds are ripping off the roost then quiet till bout 1030 and pick it up again from there. Leads me to believe hens are laying eggs and should be setting soon. Should leave some lonely gobblers come first week or so. And this is in the Shawnee area.
I'm still going, but I don't have much faith in killin anything. More so going out to work on the property, but I'm sure I'll hit it a few times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts