Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here and looking for some insight on Shawnee State Forest. I am from Maryland and have hunting mostly flat land with ag fields nearby. Taken nice deer here by putting in the time and work. But want to try something different! Going to be taking a trip out to Ohio this year, either last week of October or second week in November to Shawnee. Not looking for anyones honeyholes at all just some suggestions or tips to the area. I know it is tough terrain and I have no problems with that. Just not used to hunting the terrain.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tough is an understatement. There is a reason why the state owns the land. No way to farm or do much anything else with it as it is so steep. I drove 5 hours to check it out years ago and never went back. Beautiful and as remote as Ohio gets but to deer hunt it seemed extreme. My advice would be park on the bottom and go uphill to hunt then your drag will be downhill. Either that or bone it out where it drops. I can't overstate how steep this area is. I have wanted to go back to hunt squirrel but have not made it happen as yet. Good luck. Report back if you make it there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tough terrain as UM said and lower deer densities than the ag lands. Best idea would be to come put boots on the ground before hand as just showing up and expecting to shoot a giant would be highly unlikely. Be prepared to see many a rut hunters with the same intentions as you and have a plan B,C,D…. Etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts