Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Following up on my short rutcation I took this last weekend to the Shawnee state forest. Sorry for the long post… I left my house Wednesday night around 10:30 after a day at work and spending a little bit of time with the wife and my son. Got to the first spot I wanted to check out around 5am and took a nap til 7. Hit the woods and climbed the mountain to the check the first saddle I found on topo. Sat down around 9 to see if anything would be moving. Around 9:45 I saw movement coming up the mountain. It was a nice 10 point(about 115”) that was moving off behind me about 80 yards. I lightly hit my rattling horns together and he came to 5 yards. I decided to pass on him given I had only been there for a couple hours and I really wanted a 130”+. I watched him go over the mountain after working past me. After about 30 mins I decided to hike 1/2 mile to another saddle. Decided to sit there the rest of the day given the temp was 70+. Had no luck. The hurricane moved in Thursday night and it rained til almost dark. I went out hunting because I was on limited time and jumped a doe and saw a small buck at dark, both at different locations. It rained til 1 on Saturday and didn’t see any movement that morning. Jumped two does off a ridge on my way back to my truck for lunch and a change of clothes since I was soaked. I decided to scout the rest of the day and sit for the last hour before dark. No luck. The wife gave me the blessing to go out Sunday morning before I headed home since the weather was anything but ideal. Decided to go back to the first spot where I saw that 10 point. Hunted the creek bottom since he came from the bottom that morning. Saw 2 decent bucks Sunday, both running with their tails up and wasn’t a thing I could do to get them to stop or come my way. So long story short, I should have tagged out Thursday morning looking back on it. But I had a great time and put a lot of miles on my boots and enjoyed my stay at the Shawnee campground. I will be back and hopefully find the buck of my dreams there one day!

When everyone says the terrain is rugged… they are not lying at all!! The mountains are steep and not for anyone out of shape. It will take an hour at least to climb one side to get to the tops. I respect everyone that hunts that land year in and year out for an extended period of time!

Good luck to everyone still out there and anyone going the rest of the season. I’ll be trying to kill my target bucks here in Maryland on public where it’s nice and flat!! Lol.
Brown Plant Tree Wood Twig

Brown Plant Wood Natural landscape Tree

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sounds like it was a blast!! take that knowledge from this year and get after em and before long we will hopefully see a 130+ with you behind it and a good story to go along with it!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts