close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shane Morris-

Discussion in 'Ohio Sports Talk' started by Deehntr56, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Deehntr56

Deehntr56 Staff Member Mod

Michigan's 2013 QB recruit that has been rated pretty highly, played against Iggy the other night. I thought we would see a decent game, but I walked away somewhat disappointed.

Lamanna was waiting his turn after a transfer from Oregon last year started that beat out Brian Hoyer's brother for the starting slot. He has a big arm and is very accurate and he totally outplayed Morris. The St. Ignatius D is real good and played very well, but Morris really didn't impress.

Michael LaManna leads St. Ignatius to big win over Warren (Mich.) De La Salle

It was a case of mistaken identity. Everybody had the wrong left-hander.

Who was the Under Armour All-America quarterback here? Who was the guy that Michigan wanted so desperately it convinced him to commit during his sophomore year? Who was the pro-style quarterback deemed by Rivals.com as one of two in the country to receive a five-star rating?

Was it Warren (Mich.) De La Salle’s left-hander Shane Morris or left-hander Michael LaManna of St. Ignatius?

Anyone can have a bad day, but the numbers that led to St. Ignatius’s surprising 49-13 victory on a steamy Saturday in an even steamier Byers Field told the story.

LaManna, who is still waiting for his first Division I college offer after biding his time last year while move-in Eric Williams was leading the Wildcats to the school’s 11th state championship, came within 22 yards of equalling the school record for yards passing in a single game, while Morris looked nothing like the second-ranked quarterback in the country.

Of course, LaManna had the St. Ignatius defense on his side. That can be a game-changer.

Still, you can’t discount LaManna’s performance: 18 completions in 24 attempts for 367 yards and four touchdowns.

Morris, 6-3, 195 pounds, completed nine of 22 passes for 104 yards, no touchdowns and one interception that really wasn’t his fault.

"They are the real deal," Morris said of the Wildcats’ defense in a brief exchange with the media. "They definitely are not over-rated."

St. Ignatius defensive end and Boston College recruit Kevin Kavalec, one of several Wildcats responsible for limiting the Pilots (1-1) to less than 150 yards of offense while harassing Morris on a routine basis, said: "He had a cannon (for an arm), I’m not going to lie. There were a couple of balls, when I was out on the edge, that just whizzed by my head. But, we wanted to get pressure on him and have our secondary step up and basically cover the whole field."

The Wildcats, ranked first in The Plain Dealer Top 25, scored on their first two possessions and never wavered. LaManna completed three of his first four passes, including bull’s-eye strikes of 36 yards to Roc-Anthony Zingale and 14 to junior Michael Siragusa, to set up an 8-yard scoring pass to Conor Hennessey, who finished with four receptions for 48 yards and two touchdowns.

Morris tried to mount a counter-attack, driving his team 52 yards to the St. Ignatius 12-yard line in five plays, twice completing throws to Josh Cox for a combined 39 yards. The Wildcats’ defense, which kept Youngstown Cardinal Mooney off the scoreboard until the final seconds last week, stiff-armed the drive when junior Scott Arthrell stripped the ball out of the arms of a De La Salle receiver in the end zone for an interception.

LaManna took advantage and led the ¤’Cats on a 12-play, 80-yard drive. Tailback Tim McVey played a key role, rushing for 41 yards on six carries — including the final yard — highlighted by a 20-yard gain in which he broke several tackles and got a huge block from senior Michael Cray.

McVey added his second touchdown on the third play of the second quarter following a poor De La Salle punt, and LaManna and McVey hooked up on a 43-yard scoring play on the next possession, making it 27-0. McVey, who rushed for 1,302 yards and 15 touchdowns last year, finished with 74 yards on 14 carries.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...tius-to-big-win-over-warren-mich-de-la-salle/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
    Duke0002 likes this.