Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a small chunk of woods (5 acres) south of Chillicothe that is all wooded. There is an old service road on the back of the property that gets a small amount of sunlight but is still mostly shaded. What could I plant along this area that would work in this area?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Banned
955 Posts
clover wheat and rye will all grow with minimal tillage on killed sod. Simply spray the area once a month starting in june with gly and then broadcast rye, wheat and/or rye in august before a rain. Some of my best weed free plots was from this no till over seed method.

·
Registered
1 Posts
food plot

I just bought a small chunk of woods (5 acres) south of Chillicothe that is all wooded. There is an old service road on the back of the property that gets a small amount of sunlight but is still mostly shaded. What could I plant along this area that would work in this area?

You can also put in some Forage Peas and Forage Oats I live in west central Il. and the deer love the peas. The oats grow fast and help in keeping the weeds down. Turkeys also love the oats. The only problem with the peas is the deer eat them all before they have time to get tall. thanks (the red neck trading post.com) We should get some seed in by the end of the month.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. After walking it today I decided to wait till spring to plant. There is a lot of clearing needs done first. Did get a couple pics of some deer today though. Dow and 2 fawns. All looked heathy considering the dry weather and flies I've seen this year. Here is to hoping daddy is nearby.

·
Registered
817 Posts
In my experience , clover and brassicas do not grow very well in shade ...terrible actually ..

Wheat and rye do though

sent from my Linux mobile phone

·
Banned
955 Posts
The pic below is a gasline that runs east and west the entire width of my property. As you can see, it is very shaded and about impossible to get equipment into. Therefore, all I do is spray the area I want to plant (just so happens to be a flat spot that is about 75-80 yards long) and then in August before a rain broadcast a bushel of winter rye and/or wheat. With proper moisture I usually have a nice green "carpet" in about 2-3 weeks. It's not ideal, but it does work and the deer do utilize the forage. If you look close you can see the rye and wheat starting to pop.

I thought about going in and cutting back the trees along the line, but after closer inspection many of the trees that are shading the area are oaks and I hate to do that.

Long story short, IMO, winter rye is one of the most versatile forages out there for us plotters. It grows on poor soils, is attractive and with proper rains can grow on top of killed sod just as good if you tilled the soil and prepared it conventionally. Don't have a 30,000 tractor and tiller? Buy a sprayer for $50 and you can have a decent food plot.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts