close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Senior design project-shotgun

Discussion in 'Reloading, Target Shooting, and Firearms' started by brodbeckrt, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    I have posted this on other forums as well but I am trying to get input from as many people as possible.
    I am a Mechanical Engineering Technology Student at The University of Cincinnati in my final year. Another student and I are researching a project we feel could be quite helpful. We are developing, designing and building a one handed shotgun for our senior design project. More of the design is the stock than the gun. We came up with the idea because we feel it would help single arm amputees enjoy shooting more comfortably and more accurately. We also have tossed around the idea of use in tactical situations as well. It would be nice to be able efficiently use a shotgun without even the slightest thought of using you other hand. My thoughts are using a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 for the pump version and the Mossberg 935 or Remington 1100 or 1187 for semi-auto.

It is a requirement to gain input from other gun-owners and especially amputees.

I am asking you all for your input, suggestions, products you have seen like this(the more info on them the better. I want to make sure I am not taking anyone's patent or anything), which shotgun(make/model) do you suggest for semi-auto or pump and why?

We do already have a basic design and features list, but I do not want to put it up yet because I do not want to influence your answers in any way. I am more looking for accessories, features, or other things you have used that you added on, modified, or that came with a gun(i.e. a stock I bought for a mossberg was everything I wanted in a gun stock except the end of the butt stock was really thin and was very uncomfortable to shoot. Also when it folded the shells wouldnt eject properly because the stock folded in front of where the shells came out). Which things did you hate or love about them, and obviously why?

Thank you all for your input.

2. I would like to know more about this one handed use pump shotgun.

3. It is still in the development phase but essentially the entire gun will have to be operated with one hand. We are thinking some other point of contact or sling to help hold the gun in place while cycling the action or loading.

I do not want to give too many specifics because I want to hear other ideas/input without putting the ideas in your head.

4. I lost my right hand halfway between the wrist and elbow 4 years ago. After fully recovering started hunting again immediately. I used a Mossberg 500. I didn't have a prosthetic for the first year so I used it as a single shot. I always wanted a tripod or mount that would attach to the forarm so that after I shot I could simply push foward and pull back to rack it. After I got my prosthetic I attached a pistol grip on the forarm. The way mine is designed it is able to grip this without any modifications. For those with older prosthetics I would suggest a forarm with a loop or hole. I hope my input was helpful. I would love to give you any other help that you may need just send me a message. Good luck with your project.

5. Thanks for the input. We would love to get in contact with you please let me know your contact info via private message or email me at brodbert@mail.uc.edu

6. All,
    We have to give a survey on the project to quantify the importance of each "feature" can you please take our survey at a website we are building for the project.
    http://rr-outdoors.com/CustomerSurvey.html

Thanks

7. Contact the National Skeet Shooting Association in San Antonio Texas as they have had several members over the years who shot with one hand and did rather well. Most skeet shooters use an over-and-under.

There are also several handguns that shoot a .410 shell including a Derringer and the Thompson-Contender. A .410 slug will take down most big game while the shell also comes in different shot sizes to get the birds.

If you need more than one shot, use an over-and-under... if you need more than 2 shots, then you have an excuse to go practice a lot more.

8. I just remembered that there is a unit of the Wounded Warrior program in Maryland that teaches veterans to shoot trap and skeet with shotguns. You might want to check with them, too.

Prince George's County Trap and Skeet
    10400 Goodluck Rd.
    Glenndale, Maryland 20769
    Serving Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval Hospitals

There's a link to them on the home page of www.ohioskeet.org

BTW: since the bolt return spring extends 2/3 of the way into the stock of a Remington 1100/1187, I'd love to know how you plan to modify that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Its been a while since I posted. We are currently in the process of building this. here is a render from one of our models:
    [​IMG]

10. I would try to build it on a semi auto platform for 2 reasons. It would eliminate the need to cycle an action and also for the fact that recoil is reduced in semi autos.
    sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

11. If ya need help in the design process lmk I just graduated with drafting and design degree and I want to try my new inventor software bad!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. it has already been designed. Thanks for the offer though.

Also this design fits the Mossberg 500 and a Rem 11-87.

13. You REALLY need to go semi auto. its just all easier that way.

Put a pistol grip on in, not for the pump but for the trigger. Much easire to hold one handed that way.

To supprt the weight of the barrel, you will need a brace, perhaps off the hip. but the brace needs to be like a shock on a car, it needs to be able to slide up and down so one can shoot up or level. THere would have to be tension of some sort to support the weight and keep the barrel from falling and having the used to hold it up one handed all day.