Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just recieved 24 oak trees in the mail about 3 ft tall. i was wondering if anyone knew a cost effective way to protect them from being munched on and dug up. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Not the best time to plant. I'd be more worried about that than anything.
Use three stakes and surround them with chicken wire.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
rap chicken wire around it but it may die from this heat and lack of rain right now anyways

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Put them in the flower bed or garden and keep the watered. Transplant in Nov. or next April.

Wire cage them to keep them safe.

I just uncaged a set of mine at 6-8 foot tall.

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Yeah the tree tubes are awesome.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put them in the flower bed or garden and keep the watered. Transplant in Nov. or next April.

Wire cage them to keep them safe.

I just uncaged a set of mine at 6-8 foot tall.
i have them in large pots with potting soil right now keeping them there untill nov. would be perfect. but i have a few more questions.
1. if theyre in large pots in clusters will the roots grow together over the next 4 months. i have roughly 2 inches of soil between their root system
2. if theyre shipped to my house and placed in potting soil will they still have throuble because theyre still being transplanted from the nursery to my pots.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
1. if theyre in large pots in clusters will the roots grow together over the next 4 months. i have roughly 2 inches of soil between their root system

Could, but shouldn't pose a big issue.
2. if theyre shipped to my house and placed in potting soil will they still have throuble because theyre still being transplanted from the nursery to my pots.

No problem, just keep them in dirt, and water every 2-3 days. Keep them out of direct sunlight if possible. Under a shady tree is best until they get used to this heat and direct sunlight.
Good luck.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seedling update and ?

so my trees are still in the pots on the west side of my house under my deck behind some trellace. they may get 1-3 hours of "indirect" sunlight. im watering every 2-3 days just to keep them moist a few of them are starting to turn brown around the edge of the leaves. is this something they can recover from or are they pretty much dead? thanks for all the help

·
Registered
207 Posts
They can recover but make sure you are watering at night and if need be mist them on top of it. Just take an old spray bottle and make sure it's REALLY clean.. Fill it water and yer good to go. Not sure how good your soil still is might want to look at a bit of feed for'em or even throw it in the mister..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts