School Me

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  deerhunt45 
#1 ·
This is what I have for bowfishing.

Complete newbie, so school me.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm serious you guys and trying to boost this site and forum :p

Is there a right or wrong way to spool the line?

What can I expect shooting the heavy fiberglass arrow? The bow is 55# 62". The reel is a fred bear :D

Any safety precautions? Never loosed and arrow that was attached to something ?

I have found the fish, hope I can stick a couple. I want to try smoked carp!

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
thats what i always used...i just wound it on...make sure the line doesnt gang up on the real/bow,its very common sense but i have had arrows bounce back,there is stuff that will illiminate that...but i never used it back in the days...if the fish is in deeper water you must aim lower...if its in shallow aim right on...many i shot were right at the surface...there is rigging equipment that can be attached to the arrow to prevent bounce back or you can where a motorcycle helment with a good face shield...also polorized sunglasses help spot fish under the water surface...have fun...55# is overkill,i've shot thru 3 carp with 55# that were stacked!!!:biggrin:

#6 ·
Guess I've never felt the need for helmet and faceshield for bowfishing. If I see someone out there i'll know I've found coonskinner. :coco:

Your setup looks fine. You'd be better off cutting those rubber fletchings off. They won't stabilize that heavy of an arrow and they bump you rest and kick the arrow. The line attached to to arrow will keep it flying straight. You've got more that enough poundage, to much weight causes a lot of hang ups in mud, weeds, and such. The nice thing about a recurve is you can half/quarter draw if your close. Can't tell if your tying to the back of the arrow in the pic. If that's dacron line or heavier fastflight, you might consider picking up couple slides or rings. The slides are good idea to keep the line in front of the rest and prevent the line getting get caught on anything and cause the arrow to snap back on ya. I tie to the back with a spinner but use light fastflight that will break if it hangs. Just be sure your carefull when hand spooling the line so it will come off freely. Check you line frequently and have fun.

Other than that, just aim lower than your brain tells you to.

#11 ·
I don't like tying to the back with that sorta setup...Get some slides and get rid of those rubber fletchings. Also, you'd be better off without that dacron line. It has alot of stretch and if it hands up it can rubber band the arrow back...Get some 400# fast flight line....Or slides...or both. Aim lower than you think at submerged fish.

#12 ·
I don't like tying to the back with that sorta setup...Get some slides and get rid of those rubber fletchings. Also, you'd be better off without that dacron line. It has alot of stretch and if it hands up it can rubber band the arrow back...Get some 400# fast flight line....Or slides...or both. Aim lower than you think at submerged fish.
Appreciate the feedback. Exactly the insight I'm looking for.
The last thing I want to do is have an arrow snap back at me.
New line and slides looks like the safest way to go.
Are the arrows and tips I have adeguate? adaptable?

#14 ·
every fishing tip i've ever used worked very good...but they get all messed up from hitting rocks on bottom etc...and all i could find locally was muzzy fishing points which worked great...the 1st ones i used were vintage ones i had and some home made ones a guy gave me...they worked great too...:biggrin:

#17 ·
45....The slider system is definitely the way to go for good flight and safety reasons;) Your spool system is ok for starters but the retreiver reel is the best thing going on the market, imo! When your into fish and miss it allows that quick second shot, but it is pricey. I like the stingaree type point on my arrows. Is your bow drilled and tapped for the quiver adapter?

#18 ·
45....The slider system is definitely the way to go for good flight and safety reasons;) Your spool system is ok for starters but the retreiver reel is the best thing going on the market, imo! When your into fish and miss it allows that quick second shot, but it is pricey. I like the stingaree type point on my arrows. Is your bow drilled and tapped for the quiver adapter?
No, it is not.

I agree the slider system looks like the way to go. Not sure what type points I got, will have to look at them again. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.