Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have three Savage rifles... Two that work flawlessly. I would put them up against any high-end out-of-the-box rifle out there! My Savage 110 350 Legend is a little disappointing. I'm having feed issues with Hornady ammo, but fortunately for me the Winchester XP ammo is more accurate.. That being said it's nothing to write home about. This is what I got consistently at 100 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got my gun ack today . They sent me a extra mag with it . I filled both mags up a couple times and had No feed issues . They said the head space was good . I put the Leupold scope back on and shot 2 at 25 . they were real close to dead center . Backed up to 100 and shot 2 more . 2 inches left and 2 inches low . The sun was in my eyes so I will finish sight in in the morning . The 2 I shot at 100 was 1.5 inches apart . Hope to do a bit better in the morning .

·
Registered
72 Posts
My daughter turned 14 this year, ordered a stainless Savage 350, first shot was a dry fire(the pin seemed to slowly go forward?) Anyhow, it works good now. Not so sure about the adjustments on the cheap scope, may be changing soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update: Found out my Winchester ammo has several bad primers, Hornady ammo is great. Winchester is picking up the bad. My daughter doesn't want to change the scope (have had new scope sitting on shelf for over a year) Itching to put scope on something...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Update: Found out my Winchester ammo has several bad primers, Hornady ammo is great. Winchester is picking up the bad. My daughter doesn't want to change the scope (have had new scope sitting on shelf for over a year) Itching to put scope on something...

There's been a lot of talk about this online. They had the exact same issue with the 450BM rounds two years ago.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I’ve went through one full box of the Winchester 150gr deer season loads. 1 to fill my last tag and the rest sighting in and just shooting a fun rifle. No issues with either rifle or round

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I’m sure there is a bad batch the got shipped out and it happens doubtful anything will be done about it on the public end but I’m sure they have to be addressing it on the manufacturing end Winchester has always been solid ammunition nothing is perfect in the world and the way things are I get it hard earned money spent you want your gun to go bang every time

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wouldn't be as many problems except for GREED . Way to much time and effort put towards the 22 - 35 % gross profits they feel they need to make . In stead of quality going out the door , and decant pay to floor workers .

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The savage axis ii I picked up for the kids seems to be a rare flawless rifle then as no it’s not top of the line but it’s smooth shoots well and it’s perfect for the kids to carry being the compact model I had the guy behind the counter pull everything he had out different models and I played with all of them for about an hr I kept apologizing for taking so long but the salesman being a hunter understood exactly what I was doing and at no point was I rushed into making a choice liked the caliber and Winchester so much I bought that for myself as the savages didn’t and don’t feel right for me but the kids love the the thing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brand new out of the box .350 Legend Savage 110 . Go out to sight in and the second round I try to chamber doesn't get picked up so snap no bang . I work the bolt again and it goes bang . The next time I work the action it catches on the back of the mag and won't push forward . Then it picks up a round but seems to go to steep and jams . Not off to a good start . As I go , more bolt sliding over rounds or the round coming up steep and jam . I take the mag in the shop and spread the ears open just a bit to let the round come up a little more . But it didn't fix the issues . I called Savage and they are going to send me a new mag . However I call BS on there hole carp of quality . The screw heads in the scope bases didn't match the same driver head . The stock although is better than the Axis still shouldn't be put on anything more than a BB gun or a $100 .22 . This is the third bolt action Savage rifle in my life that has had feed issues . You would think they would build a real quality rifle that works flawlessly out of the box . BUT FAR FROM IT . NO QUALITY CONTROL . People keep telling , but there built in America . I have shot a bunch of guns not built in America like Weatherby vanguard that work flawlessly with much better stocks for about the same money . It's to bad they don't make a nice .350 Legend with a 18 or 20 inch barrel .
Now lets get down to the nitty gritty . You would think I would have been smart enough to not buy a Savage rifle . But I figured Surly they have improved over the years . Many people keep talking highly about them . Give them another go . What a stupid thought .
I have owned two 350 Legend rifles in the last two years and have had no problems with either one. The first one was a CVA v2 Scout. It shot the Winchester XP ammo as well as my 140 gr. hand loads MOA. I sold it to my nephew to buy a bolt action rifle as I wanted to have a quicker second shot. I bought a Winchester XPR with a 22 in barrel. It also shoots the 140 gr. hand loads MOA. I would recommend that you take a look at both these rifles.
I also have owned three 450 Bushmasters in the last three and one half years. I first had a Ruger American Ranch with the 16 inch barrel as it was the only one available at my local gun shop. It was accurate but cheaply made. I would not recommend this rifle in the 350 Legend for the same reason. I sold the Ruger and bought a CVA v2 Scout. It shot MOA with three different hand loads. I sold it to my nephew as he wanted matching rifles and I wanted another bolt action. I looked at all of the bolt action rifles in 450 Bushmaster and liked the CVA Cascade the best. It shoots my hand loads MOA also. For the price I would recommend that you also take a look at the CVA Cascade in 350 Legend as well.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts