Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new out of the box .350 Legend Savage 110 . Go out to sight in and the second round I try to chamber doesn't get picked up so snap no bang . I work the bolt again and it goes bang . The next time I work the action it catches on the back of the mag and won't push forward . Then it picks up a round but seems to go to steep and jams . Not off to a good start . As I go , more bolt sliding over rounds or the round coming up steep and jam . I take the mag in the shop and spread the ears open just a bit to let the round come up a little more . But it didn't fix the issues . I called Savage and they are going to send me a new mag . However I call BS on there hole carp of quality . The screw heads in the scope bases didn't match the same driver head . The stock although is better than the Axis still shouldn't be put on anything more than a BB gun or a $100 .22 . This is the third bolt action Savage rifle in my life that has had feed issues . You would think they would build a real quality rifle that works flawlessly out of the box . BUT FAR FROM IT . NO QUALITY CONTROL . People keep telling , but there built in America . I have shot a bunch of guns not built in America like Weatherby vanguard that work flawlessly with much better stocks for about the same money . It's to bad they don't make a nice .350 Legend with a 18 or 20 inch barrel .
Now lets get down to the nitty gritty . You would think I would have been smart enough to not buy a Savage rifle . But I figured Surly they have improved over the years . Many people keep talking highly about them . Give them another go . What a stupid thought .

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I have two Savage rifles and they both feed ammo great. Hopefully the new magazine fixes the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Ron Coburn left Savage As CEO in 2013. I think he was the one who brought Savage back from the brink of extinction in the 1990's through 2013. I have a early 2000's Savage 110 varmint model in .25-06 and a newer Savage Axis II in .243. The .25-06 has killed more groundhogs than I care to count, back when we still had groundhogs around here. The newer Savage I've only shot 5 rounds to zero it after winning it in a gun raffle. Everything these days is a race to the bottom in the bolt action rifle world. Such a shame. I think of the older Remington 700's and Ruger 77's and they were something to be proud of.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sending the hole rifle back . It also hd a hard time closing the bolt a couple times . That could be a flaw in ammo or it could be a head space issue . I told them not to send it back until it is flawless . That it should feed a round 1000 out of 1000 times . Not 80 or 90 % of the time but every time .
Toker I agree with you on the race to the bottom . it is a real sh-t show out there today . The 110 is not there entry level rifle. Yet it has a crap stock with plastic trigger guard . Fact is quality control has been destroyed in American factories . It's all about money for stock holders a the big CEO's . In other words greed .

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sad that issues like this are becoming the norm not the exception. Remington going belly up, who knows where Winchester is, I had great hopes for savage.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If Winchester would have made one in there model 70 with controlled feed I would have bought it .

·
Registered
739 Posts
90B41264-52B8-4AA4-A94D-48D8D2752378.jpeg
When I was looking for a 350 last year for my son. I look at all the bolt gun and like you said I just couldn't get past the quality of the gun. They looked great on the gun rack then the guy would hand it to you and it was a 350 legend on a BB gun chassis JUNK. So I built it on an AR platform and haven't looked back works flawless

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this point I just hope it comes back working as it should .

·
Registered
98 Posts
At this point I just hope it comes back working as it should .
Keep us updated. I'm sorry to hear your having issues. I know how frustrating that is. I bought a Ruger LCP a few years ago that was junk. Ruger ended up replacing it for me. I hope Savage has good customer service and makes it right for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Being left handed, I gravitate towards Savage. I have a 2012 Model 110 in 223, a 2013 Mark II in 22lr and a 2013 17hmr. All these are left handed. I feel fortunate that they all operate and shoot pretty well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Brand new out of the box .350 Legend Savage 110 . Go out to sight in and the second round I try to chamber doesn't get picked up so snap no bang . I work the bolt again and it goes bang . The next time I work the action it catches on the back of the mag and won't push forward . Then it picks up a round but seems to go to steep and jams . Not off to a good start . As I go , more bolt sliding over rounds or the round coming up steep and jam . I take the mag in the shop and spread the ears open just a bit to let the round come up a little more . But it didn't fix the issues . I called Savage and they are going to send me a new mag . However I call BS on there hole carp of quality . The screw heads in the scope bases didn't match the same driver head . The stock although is better than the Axis still shouldn't be put on anything more than a BB gun or a $100 .22 . This is the third bolt action Savage rifle in my life that has had feed issues . You would think they would build a real quality rifle that works flawlessly out of the box . BUT FAR FROM IT . NO QUALITY CONTROL . People keep telling , but there built in America . I have shot a bunch of guns not built in America like Weatherby vanguard that work flawlessly with much better stocks for about the same money . It's to bad they don't make a nice .350 Legend with a 18 or 20 inch barrel .
Now lets get down to the nitty gritty . You would think I would have been smart enough to not buy a Savage rifle . But I figured Surly they have improved over the years . Many people keep talking highly about them . Give them another go . What a stupid thought .
To begin, I am not a Savage fan. Will never own one. Just full disclosure.

If you owned 2 Savage rifles with issues, why did you buy a 3rd? Kinda asking for trouble.
Also, this is to be expected from a cheap rifle. Some will be good, but consistency is not there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sad that issues like this are becoming the norm not the exception. Remington going belly up, who knows where Winchester is, I had great hopes for savage.
For a new rifle. Bergara or Tikka. Ruger as well, though I do not have experience with their bottom offering American series.

Remington and Winchester quality has gone in the ****ter lately. It's a shame how those companies have been mismanaged.

Savage was never an option for me.

My last purchase was a Bergara B14 Wilderness Terrian in 308.

Awesome stock, with adj cheek piece. Aluminum mini chassis. Adj premium trigger, Cerekote finish. Threaded 5.5 contour barrel with break. Action smooth as butter. AICS mags. Under 1k.

Action based on Rem700, so all aftermarket Rem700 parts... rings, triggers, etc work. So endless options if wanted. Its the rifle Remington SHOULD BE.

It also shoots an honest .5 MOA. At least to 400 yds which is the longest I have been able to shoot it so far.

Tikka's action may be even slicker than the Bergara's. Just stupid smooth. Very accurate rifles as well. They do use proprietary magazines though and some of the stocks are not as nice as Bergara's. But for what they sell for, you will not get a better shooter.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am very pleased with my Winchester XPR. That being said, I did have to take the trigger assembly out as soon as I bought it and oil the safety because it would not work. I mean two handed pressure to get the safety on or off. Now that this was worked out it shoots great.

Is the XPR made with the same quality of the model 70? Absolutely not or it would be priced much higher. It is made from the same design though.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tikka doesn't make a .350 Legend .
I need adjustable stock so me and my granddaughter could both shoot it . I didn't want a AR style rifle . And I did want a barrel that is 18 or 20 inches . I could go with a compact but it would be better for my grand daughter to go even shorter with LOP cuz he is small . At this time the only ones making a .350 Legend in a bolt gun that meets what I need are all the sh-t economy rifles . The savage met those things the best . I figured the 110 is there higher end rifle so it should be as good as the other economy rifles from Win and Ruger . I had a couple friends say they are building quality rifles now , give them another shot . So I did . The one guy told me don't worry when it comes back after there gunsmith has it you will be happy . I hope it turns out that way .

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have a left hand savage 17 HMR and I love the thing. Sorry about the bad luck you’ve had with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My daughter turned 14 this year, ordered a stainless Savage 350, first shot was a dry fire(the pin seemed to slowly go forward?) Anyhow, it works good now. Not so sure about the adjustments on the cheap scope, may be changing soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the cheap scope off and put a Leupold on it before I shot the first round . Had to take it back off to ship it back to them . Don't want a good scope broke in shipping .

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well they got my gun Tuesday the 15th . Just got it unboxed and checked in Sat the 19th . It has been put in rotation to go to a gunsmith . I ask if they knew when it would get looked at . And the reply was -no idea we are behind because it is close to hunting season . I wanted to say - no , your behind because of a lack of quality control . But I kept my mouth shut . Figured a smart mouth might get it lost for 90 days or longer . LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts