Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to hear the full story go to my other thread, the one about the Rossi 223 HB. I'm going to be getting a Savage Axis for Christmas, and I was just curious of what anyone had to say about them, as far as shootability and any overall opinions. I'm (As always) excited about the new firearm, and can't wait to shoot it. Just a few more months! Lol. After I shoot it, I'll post a review and maybe if they're good enough, some pictures of some groups.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You wont find anything below 300$ new that will compete with it...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Best gun ever owned. Holds the tightest group in any rifle ive ever shot. The weight is nicely evened out in it to

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm really tossed up between the 06 and the 223. I would really like to have the 06, but the ammo for it is just too danged expensive. I could always start reloading that caliber.... but i dont know. 223 would be a fun round and cheap to shoot, but I sure wouldn't wanna try it on a deer .at 150.

Guess I'm just gonna have to pick one and deal with the down side of it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm really tossed up between the 06 and the 223. I would really like to have the 06, but the ammo for it is just too danged expensive. I could always start reloading that caliber.... but i dont know. 223 would be a fun round and cheap to shoot, but I sure wouldn't wanna try it on a deer .at 150.

Guess I'm just gonna have to pick one and deal with the down side of it.
A .223 shoots flat for 200 yds. It would drop a deer at 150 yds if you place the shot right

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the axis in .308 .I didn't like the factory trigger so I bought one from Timney triggers.The action on the bolt is not smooth or quiet, but it is a cheap rifle.If you can tolerate the trigger and action, you will love this rifle, its a tack driver.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
125 Posts
It would be the cheaper way to go. You can hunt alot more animals with them

I wouldn't say any more than the 30-06, you'll just have more left of what you shoot with the 223 :D

And shane, I actually like heavy trigger pulls. Don't know why, really is no reason. But what you say about the bolt is odd, everyone I've heard from says it's very smooth. Haven't heard much on the loudness though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I wouldn't say any more than the 30-06, you'll just have more left of what you shoot with the 223 :D

And shane, I actually like heavy trigger pulls. Don't know why, really is no reason. But what you say about the bolt is odd, everyone I've heard from says it's very smooth. Haven't heard much on the loudness though.
My axis .223 has a very smooth and quiet trigger

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
get a 243...:Di will be getting one,i already asked about em here and got all kinds of positive responses...i'm thinking of the 22/250...:D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
get a 243...:Di will be getting one,i already asked about em here and got all kinds of positive responses...i'm thinking of the 22/250...:D
Yeah I heard alot of good stuff about the .243. I would get a .223, .243 or a 22/250

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Yeah I heard alot of good stuff about the .243. I would get a .223, .243 or a 22/250

also 270 but i havent any idea how much 270 ammo costs...it can do everythang the 30/06 can...:biggrin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like 3lbs. pull on big rifles and even less on .22 caliber. The bolt to me just feels sloppy like it has play in it, but its the same with my model 110 in .270. I hear people talk about the smooth action of the bolt but I wonder what they are comparing it to,certainly not a sako or browning.
I'm being very picky when I complain about the bolt though, because I really love the rifle, especially for the price.I would say its hands down the best buy on the market.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I shot one once. Worst rifle I ever had in my hands. Action sucked. Trigger sucked. Have to use high scope mounts that sucks. Stock sucked. With the ammo the guy had I could only hold a 1.5 inch group at 50 yards.and for a .223 or any other cal thats sucks. I dont have one good thing to say about that rifle. But maybe evey person that worked on that rifle and the designer was drunk.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Wish I was drunk.....but nooooo, its gotta be Wednesday...guess ima go gig frogs instead.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
also 270 but i havent any idea how much 270 ammo costs...it can do everythang the 30/06 can...:biggrin:
270 runs close to $1 a shell I looked at the axis 243 and 223 and 22/250 today with bushnell scopes for 329$ at ohiovalley in Logan u can get 50 rounds of 223 for under $10 and bout the same for 243 I don't think I'm ganna buy one rite now but decent price for sure and not a bad scope

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
.270 is a very good cal but it cant do anything a 30-06 can do . it cant shoot a 220 grain bullet. but it can kill any critter a 30-06 can with good shoot placement. if I was hunting big brown bears I would sure pick the 06 over a .270. I have hunted plains game in africa with both and none of the critters could tell the differance, even the tough blue wildebeest.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually think I'm going to go with the 30-06. My step-dad brought up a good point. 223 definately has nice range to it, but loses a good amount of energy along the way. I mean hey, it didn't have massive amounts in the first place. Then I thought, hmm, 270 or 06? After comparing, I've decided the 30-06. It's got just as good of a range, and a lot of power behind it.

Stopped by at a local gun shop today and held one. :D I really like the feel of it. I'm fond of heavy trigger pulls anyway, so I'll just keep that the way it is. The bolt didn't seem the best, but I'm sure after cleaning it nice and thourough it'll work itself in.

Well, getting it in october hopefully. Now I'll need optics. Any ideas? It'd be nice to get a Leupold or Nikon or Burris... in my dreams. I'd like to have something anywhere from 3-12 to 6-24. Long shots across the way, it's a common travel root for yotes. Preferrably under $100. Thanks for any input. (Sorry I'm so long winded! :coco:)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The 270 is loud as heck too...IMO.

Ask yourself this though - why does the military, NATO wide, use the 223?

You may be hard pressed to find good quality optics. Im sure there are some out there, though.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts