Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really think the good steelhead fishing for the spring is behind us. I spent the day Saturday looking for fish on gravel. I ended up catching quite a few fish, but didn't see many more than I caught. A couple of the hens were pretty bright. One small buck was in good shape too, everything else looked spent.

I did hook the same buck 3 times and landed him twice. On the third hook up I was trying to get him to me in the river instead of beaching him, but he came off. Despite the fact that many of the fish looked spent, several fought great. There were a few real acrobats mixed in. I left the river with a few fish in sight, but one was the same guy I'd hooked 3 times already. I don't care how much he wanted to eat another white wooly (all 3 hook ups), I let him be.

The biggest of the day

The willing buck with distinctive scarring on his back

Little buck went airborne several times

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Nice, GM. Were you on the Rock? I'm hoping to get out one more time. Maybe this rain will help.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to the Connie. Unless I hear some really good reports, I'm probably done steelin for the spring. This weekend is a holiday, next weekend is PA. After that we're bumping into turkey season and if I get to fish,
I'll either target lake run smallies or give the clearfork a try to see if I can catch a hatch.

Good luck if you go.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
cool!
I'm shooting to get out the next two weekends and maybe a week night after work or two. I'm banking on one more really good push of fish with a rain. If we don't get the rain I think they'll come in and not run too far up river, do their thing and leave. At least it's supposed to be fairly seaonal on the temps now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts