Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eventful thus far. I fished the pier with bait tackle one afternoon (Saturday) and got some pinfish and my first bluefish. Then tonight, in 90 minutes fishing the surf on the fly, I got my first saltwater fish on the fly. I picked up a small bluefish on a chart/white Clouser in pounding surf. 5 minutes later a jellyfish got me on the leg. Good day, I'll be back at it hard in the morning. I'm looking at Tuesday to shark fish the first time this week. Pics to come later.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Congrats on the first saltwater fly score! More to come, I'm sure. Keep up the good work.... Oh and I hate jellyfish :thumbs_down:

Looking forward to some shark video.;)

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trip ended up as a colossal failure in terms of the fishing. Next year I am hiring a guide if I am in the same area, case closed. I had trouble dealing with the wind and strong tides in my kayak. Even my 8lb sea anchor wouldn't hold me in the surf with 50' of anchor line out in 8-10' of water. It was so rough I couldn't shark fish as I planned, and the surf was so churned up with sand from the strong tides and winds that I doubt fish could see my offerings. I caught my 1st saltwater fish on the fly on the first time fly fishing for the week and had some confidence...then caught 0 the rest of the week. You win some, you lose some...and I absolutely lost this one to Mother Nature. To top it off, my beloved little HD camcorder seems to now be ruined after an accident near the bathroom sink. Here's a few pics of the carnage that was the fishing part of my vacation.

Fish from the pier:

First bluefish:

Mole crab I caught:

I think this was a ghost crab:

Flyrod bluefish:

Out in the surf:

Tubbs Inlet:

Body surfing, that actually went OK:

And I found a new place to carp fish:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
That is some tough surf. I haven't faced anything like that and I have the worst luck when the sea is anything other than flat. Hopefully, if you get out with a guide he can key you in on some regional tips/techniques.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
It'll get there

Thanks for sharing! I wouldn't feel too bad. It's new game and can be tough to learn the ropes. Steelhead took me a few trips before I finally started to figure it out and it was still basically stream fishing for trout. It's probably just something small. For me it was something as simple as changing how I set up my strike indicator. I don't use the floats and had it too far up the line. Could be just a difference in how you fish the channels on the beach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts