Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully me and my buddy are going to run beagles this evening. We had some rain last night so that should help. Need to get old dog back in shape and get pups running. Its been so hot by the time i work in heat all day i dont feel like running dogs when i get home. Hopefully well get some cooler evenings coming up so i can get them ready for season. Anybody else running dogs?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
182 Posts
I took my labs out this morning and they kicked up about 15 rabbits

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang sounds like I shouldeve went out this morning. Lol.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Haha...as if to ask me...You cant be serious? Im comfortable and warm....

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Still waiting for the front to come through here. It still warm and sticky and the beagles have not moved all day. We got almost no rain when the line came through (split and went north and south of us). I'm hoping the front comes through soon. Maybe I will head out and do a little groundhog hunting this evening and run the beagles in the morning.

JB, that was a great look from your beagle!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out for about an hour right after rain. Old dog jumped one in a berry patch and brought it by us twice before going in a hole. My kids were excited when they seen the rabbit come by the second time they didnt see it the first time they were playing in the mud. Lol. The older pups were a little interested for a little bit so thats good. All in all a good evening

·
Registered
776 Posts
I gotta work this evening, but I'm gearing up to do some night running. Lord knows the dogs are ready to get out and stretch. Normally, I'd run all summer long at the club or at a spot by the lake, but it's been a tough summer to get out and do that. Who kinows, maybe I can get them out there after work.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I have the day off work today so I slept in, yeah! I started my day just after 7am and let the dogs loose in the pasture as I started to do my barn chores. I let them run for about 2 hours before I rounded them up over by my next door neighbor's oil well a little after 9am. The guy tending to the oil well was there and he was all smiles when I went to get the dogs. Seems as though he was enjoying listening to them trail the bunnies. It was nice to get the dogs some exercise for sure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its supposed to cool down tonight so im gonna get them back out and run them some more

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am starting my first beagle after hunting behind a friends beagles for a few years. He's just now over 6 months and I've taken him out a few times on the cooler mornings. Main goal is just get him use to the woods and the different smells and what not.

He really seems to try while he's out, but he sure loves those deer trails. I've gotten him on 3 site chases so far. Lost two within a minute, but did run one for about 10 minutes. I was pretty happy with that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am starting my first beagle after hunting behind a friends beagles for a few years. He's just now over 6 months and I've taken him out a few times on the cooler mornings. Main goal is just get him use to the woods and the different smells and what not.

He really seems to try while he's out, but he sure loves those deer trails. I've gotten him on 3 site chases so far. Lost two within a minute, but did run one for about 10 minutes. I was pretty happy with that.
Keep working with him. I love watching young dogs develop. My opinion on the deer is i dont worry to much about that intill they start running rabbits consistently then ill break them off trash. Seems to work for me. I ussually just try to get them off trail and get them back on a rabbit. Then when they start running rabbits good when ill shock them off deer. Im sure there other ways of doing it but that works for me. These cooler mornings and evenings have been nice to run dogs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Keep working with him. I love watching young dogs develop. My opinion on the deer is i dont worry to much about that intill they start running rabbits consistently then ill break them off trash. Seems to work for me. I ussually just try to get them off trail and get them back on a rabbit. Then when they start running rabbits good when ill shock them off deer. Im sure there other ways of doing it but that works for me. These cooler mornings and evenings have been nice to run dogs.

That's pretty much what I was thinking/doing. Let him do his thing for now, so he's not getting scolded for something he's not even aware he's doing wrong. He listens really well, so it's been farily easy to get him off the deer trails. Its just when he's out of site, he really takes the opportunity sometimes lol.

I am going to try and join one of the beagle clubs around me, hoping to be able to team up with some people and get him some around some more experienced dogs. Plus get him use to running with other dogs as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a good plan buddy. Training a pup of any breed is alot of work but the more time you spend with the pup now will payoff in the long run. I have to always remind myself when im dealing with a pup that yes they are just puppies and there going to screw up..but when they do a good job it sure is a fun time.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
This cool down is sure nice for the hounds. Very cool and drizzly right now. I let them run rabbits in the pasture for 2 hours this morning while I did farm chores and made Sunday breakfast. When I went to get them, they still had quite a bit of spring in their step on the way back to the house. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah i went this morning too. Jumped one. Very nice morning. I think im going tonight too. Gotta get me and my dogs into shape. Me more than the dogs. Lol

·
Registered
776 Posts
I took off work yesterday, and ran my two. I ran them in the lated AM for a couple hours, and then again from 5:00 to 7:00. When it was all said and done their spring had sprung. Not being out the last couple of months has them out of shape. We can fix that pretty easily. I'm off this weekend and I'm gonna run them Friday night. Twice on Sat. and twice on Sunday.

That being said I think they did a prett decent job. Especially Lady, the young one, she's coming along finally.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, I ran them once Friday evening, twice on Saturday, and once on Sunday.

Lady needs a bunch of solo time. Actually I think the problem is too many rabbits in the enclosure so her solo time will be out in the wild. But she is finding every rabbit that is out there, and jumping many from their beds. She just cant track very far without Annie's help. Which is where the solo time comes in.

Annie? By the time season rolls around she's gonna be a force to be reconned with. She is a true wind splitter, but I observed her working a 1/4 grown rabbit for 45 minutes in a small section litterally walking that track out. It was kind of awkward for her to do and for me to watch because a machine gun chop just doesn't fit that slow, "grind it out" pace.

I'll get them out some this week. probably tonight. and then again this weekend. I was gonna go to the Don McVay Memorial hunt over in Coshocton cty, but I don't think my van is up for the drive. I wasn't gonna enter any dogs. I just wanted to support the hunt by going to the auction as well as observe a PKC hunt. never been to one.

Good running to all!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Near perfect evening of running. Got home from work a little early and turned the beagles loose around 5:30pm. They found a rabbit in a wild rose bush right by where our tractor road crosses the culvert over the creek. This is about 80 yards behind the house. I did all my barn chores. Then went inside and ate dinner. Then I did some computer work for the farm. I could hear them from the house. I finally went and got them a little before 8pm and they were only 50 yards from where they started. They came in and are laying in the dining room sleeping and they haven't even had supper yet. Gotta love sleepy dogs. Going to have to wake them up to feed them in a bit. So thankful that I am able to run the dogs like this.

Sent from my SCH-I405

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Well, I ran them once Friday evening, twice on Saturday, and once on Sunday.

Lady needs a bunch of solo time. Actually I think the problem is too many rabbits in the enclosure so her solo time will be out in the wild. But she is finding every rabbit that is out there, and jumping many from their beds. She just cant track very far without Annie's help. Which is where the solo time comes in.

Annie? By the time season rolls around she's gonna be a force to be reconned with. She is a true wind splitter, but I observed her working a 1/4 grown rabbit for 45 minutes in a small section litterally walking that track out. It was kind of awkward for her to do and for me to watch because a machine gun chop just doesn't fit that slow, "grind it out" pace.

I'll get them out some this week. probably tonight. and then again this weekend. I was gonna go to the Don McVay Memorial hunt over in Coshocton cty, but I don't think my van is up for the drive. I wasn't gonna enter any dogs. I just wanted to support the hunt by going to the auction as well as observe a PKC hunt. never been to one.

Good running to all!
:D :D :D :D

Sent from my SCH-I405

1 - 20 of 64 Posts