Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Headed out straight after work on Friday. I tried all day to find a way to sneak out early. Sadly, I was stuck there for the duration and had no chance at an evening bite. Saturday morning I hit a familiar stretch of water. Cool tamps and bluebird skies greeted the day, but the fish were as scarce as the clouds. Between three of us, we landed one big brown. I dredged nymphs and stripped streamers into the early afternoon without so much as a flash.

Beautiful stretch, no fish

My companions left just after noon and I headed up a small, small brookie stream. Cream makes it look easy. My first attempt at stalking native brookies was a challenge. On my way up the run, I startled a few fish with poor wading. The quarters were so tight I couldn't tell whether a pool was worth casting to until I was too close. I followed the little stream all the way to it's spring and headed back down with one pool in mind. It had a couple fish in it, and room to cast, but high weeds along the bank would certainly grab my line.

When i reached the pool, I peered over the grass and saw my targets. From about 20ft away, my first cast landed gently enough, line resting in the grass, leader stretched into the water. #14 parachute sulphur dead center in the pool. I watched as 3 little brookies cautiously eyed the fly. Suddenly, all three charged for it and one lucky fish became my first native brookie. He was a tiny little thing, but I was thrilled.

The pool, he and his buddies call home

That afternoon, i headed to "the big crick" to try and catch a hatch. I was not disappointed. As dusk neared a few sulfurs rose. The fish stayed down. They were waiting for what was to come. As the light faded, the sky began to fill with bugs, The sulfurs increased, BWOs came in waves and coffin flies swarmed above me. The fish came alive. They were keying on the coffin fly. I had none. I switched between a sulfur dun and a brown drake that Brushbeater gave me during our hex trip last summer. The sulfur wasn't big enough, the drake wasn't light enough. Both worked though. I landed a number of fish. A big rainbow that took drag from my 5wt and an 11 inch brookie that may have been native, were the highlights.

I don't have any pics from the afternoon. i had been carrying my camera in shorts pocket under my waders all day. When I reached in that pocket and found my phone, I thought I left it at camp. Turns out, it was in my shirt pocket all along. Nonetheless, the fishing was great and a clear picture lasts in my mind.

This morning, I hit the little creek with very little luck. I didn't press too hard though. The evening before was such a treat, it was easy to leave. I did mange a sucker though.

This morning on the little creek

Great weekend. I wish I could've caught a second hatch today, but I had to get home.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Great report, congrats on the 1st brookie! The water in that pool looks gin clear and like there is very little flow, that makes for the toughest conditions for me. When it's like that in WV, I go to midge patterns like the Griffith's Gnat unless I see risers to something else.

An 11" native brookie is a solid fish! :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Great pics, looks like a great trip! Looks like tougher conditions, it will keep you on your toes. :)

I'll 2nd that on an 11" brookie. That's a prize all on its own.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trip was great. Really loved seeing the coffin fly. I wouldn't have figured out what they were without the help of another fly guy. As for the big brookie, it's probably just wishful thinking. It was one of the last fish I caught. Without a flashlight, I could make out that it was a brookie, but not appreciate the color. What has me thinking it may have been a native was the shape. For a fish of that length, it was very slender. It seems the stocked fish usually carry a little gut. Either way, a nice fish and a great take.

I'll probably try to time the coffin fly for years and not get lucky enough to hit it again. But just in case, I left town with a handful of local ties.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts