Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Augusta Township in Carroll County, Ohio cruising timber this morning and heard TWO different ringneck pheasants crowing!

I drove around the area and did not see any regulated shooting preserve or dog training area. What a delightful surprise!

Too bad I have not heard a grouse drum for several years!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Funny you should post this. When we 1st bought our farm in '96, I would hear pheasant roosters every spring. Slowly they disappeared and it has probably been at least 6-7 years since I have heard one. Then last week I heard one back where our blueberries and blackberries are. I flushed it later that evening too. I heard it the next day too but it had traveled some. Now I have not heard it for about 5 days. I have no idea if it was wild or an escapee. Hoping for the former but. Well we did have that bobwhite that came and hung out by our chicken barn for a couple months last summer. I don't know of anyone close raising game birds but the quail came from somewhere. I miss hearing the wild pheasants every spring.

Now I did hear a grouse drumming on Sunday morning. There aren't a lot around but I hear a couple every spring. Barely hanging on I am sure.

Sent from my Ally

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
That's cool. I've not been down to our hunting property this spring but the guys have been seeing a lot of woodcock that appear to be birds that have taken up residence there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts