Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Maryland and annually hunt MD PA and DE for deer and turkeys. I'm branching out this fall and planning a week bowhunt in Ohio for deer. I was considering noble, monroe, or Muskingum counties for no other reason than their eastern proximity and the apparent availability of public access. I already acquired my BN coal permit for that land; however, I was wondering if someone could give me some local insight into the area (good bad waste of time?) and possibly suggest other opportunities. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
honestly every county in Ohio has a chance at big bucks, hunt hard and youll see deer.

Ohio is my home state and I love it, but it is no IOWA! We do put up great deer every year tho, and I would bet on it that youll have a fun time! Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. Do you have any experience on public land in eastern Ohio?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Plan your trip the very first week of november. Thats usually when rut is at its peek. Salt fork is the only public ive ever hunted because I live a mile.from it. It is a good big buck.producer. But, you have to work for em. Talk about some big ass hills! If.you hike back in a good 1 1 1/2 miles. You got a good chance of scorin

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
normally archery season isnt bad hunter pressure wise as compared to gun season but its better to be on very large areas as far from any populated areas you can get...a mistake many visitors make is hunting spots that has a lot of cars as they think thats a hot spot or theyre on a nice buck...than complain because their hunt gets screwed up by another hunter:biggrin:...find your own spot where theres no other cars and not ruin their hunt or get yours ruined by them ...in most public lands in the southeastern part of ohio i've been in has a very good distribution of deer and big bucks over the entire forest...i have not hunted the area you mentioned or know anythang about it...just get out hunt sun up to dark and if youre in there the 1st 2 weeks of nov...chances are a big boy will stumble by on the trail youre watching...if a doe comes by acting nervous...be ready...and let those doe go...and lil bucks go if you want a big boy...135 or 140 is very possible...on most se ohio public lands or any unmanaged private lands...any p&y deer is respectable...good luck...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Thanks for responding. Do you have any experience on public land in eastern Ohio?

I have also hunted Salt Fork, I have killed deer there, but never saw a huge buck. A lot of guys have taken PandYs out of there tho

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
normally archery season isnt bad hunter pressure wise as compared to gun season but its better to be on very large areas as far from any populated areas you can get...a mistake many visitors make is hunting spots that has a lot of cars as they think thats a hot spot or theyre on a nice buck...than complain because their hunt gets screwed up by another hunter:biggrin:...find your own spot where theres no other cars and not ruin their hunt or get yours ruined by them ...in most public lands in the southeastern part of ohio i've been in has a very good distribution of deer and big bucks over the entire forest...i have not hunted the area you mentioned or know anythang about it...just get out hunt sun up to dark and if youre in there the 1st 2 weeks of nov...chances are a big boy will stumble by on the trail youre watching...if a doe comes by acting nervous...be ready...and let those doe go...and lil bucks go if you want a big boy...135 or 140 is very possible...on most se ohio public lands or any unmanaged private lands...any p&y deer is respectable...good luck...:biggrin:
I agree 100% with ****. Also, get ya one of those bleat cans by primos. Works miracles. I called in two of the biggest bucks ive ever come across in my life usin that can. of course I.got buck fever and didnt draw back. I ccould kick myself. But honestly, best money ive ever invested, not the most durable little things but they are only 7 bucks so buy a few

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Check out AEP Recreation Land. 60,000 acres in Guernsey, Noble, muskingam and Morgan counties. Permits are free.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
679 Posts
Do they have good huntable land? Decent deer numbers?

If talking about Bilman's AEP post, yes. I
It is far enough from a major metropolitan area to ward off most of the weekend warriors. And it is rural enough that most in the area have private ground to hunt. Numbers are good, and so are genetics. Based on what I've been told, bow pressure is very light; especially if you follow ****'s tips, because few venture very far from a convenient parking area. If willing to walk, and handle some thick, up-and-down terrain, it may be a good choice.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
AEP has plenty of deer and turkey. Also awesome fishing. Like I said, permits are free. So is camping. Nice place.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

1 - 11 of 11 Posts