Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ohio Steelhead......YAY!
I grew up fishin steelies and salmon in the rivers and tributaries of Washington State. I've been here for six years and each and every year since I've moved away from outdoorsmans paradise, I have returned in the summer for the Chinook and Coho runs on the Skykomish river. I haven't done a lot of river fishin in Ohio, we've had two kids in the last 6 years and I didn't think there was anything really big to fish in these rivers anyway so my priorities got somewhat skewed concerning fishing. Bass are fun but 15 or 20 pounds of pissed off king salmon on the end of your line on a regular basis kind of spoiles you for much less.
Anyway, most of the stelheading I did was in the fall and winter months, we fished salmon all summer, but I was just at ODNRs website and they say that the Rock will produce through May. Is anyone fishing the Rock this late in the year? If so, how's the fishin? Where are the fish? Any input would be greatly appreciated....I'm totally fired up about the prospect of steelheading again. It is by far, one of my favorite things to hook into and I can't wait to go get my line wet.
Thanks guys,
Josh.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
There are still steel around in all the major tribs but they're super spooky and spread out. I'd like for one last good push of fish with the rain we're supposed to get. Most years you can fsih steel up through about May 1 with reasonable expectations of finding some fish to cast to. On a cool wet year they've been in as long as late May - early June. As far as the Rock I would think with the lack of rain I'd head for areas close to the lake right now. Have at it!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
This website is updated weekly, on Thursday. Be sure to check out the flow guage before you make the trip. Anything <150 cfs will be really tough. 250-300 is what I prefer.

http://blogs.clemetparks.com/rocky-river-fishing-report/

There are other tribs, too, that offer great steelhead fishing.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts