Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Roadkill...anyone?

22K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  wascher 
#1 ·
Well, this isn't really "hunting" related but it regards small game?

You guys ever eat roadkill? I tried it for the first time last night. I was riding my bicycle home from work and I found a squirrel completely in tact with bright red blood on it. I picked it up and it was still warm. I thought, "The only difference between this squirrel and a hunted one is I don't have to pick out the lead."

I carried it over to the bicycle polo courts, where I was headed anyway. I borrowed a box cutter from a friend of mine and proceeded to freak out a whole group of inner city guys, while I gutted and skinned it.

I took the meat home and read little on Google to make sure this was a safe practice. Everything seemed Ok, so I made some soup and enjoyed him. It was actually the biggest squirrel I managed to cook up all season.

Here's and interesting article if anyone is interested:
http://www.masterjules.net/roadkill101.htm

If you're still skeptical, remember where your chicken nuggets come from:
http://gizmodo.com/5654066/chicken-nuggets-are-made-from-this-pink-chicken-goop?skyline=true&s=i

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stop and check out every animal I pass now, if I have the time to deal with it. I can't believe I passed up all that venison over the years.

See less See more
#2 ·
what your doing is a good thing, my grandfather would pick up deer ppl had hit and clean them for the freezer. at the time we had a section of our barn. speicificly for butchering cattle so it wasnt out of our way. anymore i dont know if i could bring myself to pick up anything else.

#4 ·
Dude! You are one of my new heroes!
Crow? No problem...
Roadkill? Heck yeah...
You, sir, will survive the apocalypse. Guaranteed.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've heard that the Chinese visitors to this country are amazed by the number of animals left roadside....that said, many markets in China are likely not where most statesiders would shop.

I don't think many would argue that a freshly hit animal would not likely be safe to eat...odds-wise, but the flatter the critter then possibly less so....however, much of the Net talk is from folks wanting/needing to make a statement larger than roadkill consumption.
I don't trust because I read a Net blog or some stranger's agenda....too narrow a focus many times.

The window of opportunity for roadkill would seem small to me and the risk, once roadkill is a staple, is for the boundaries of safety to be pushed....just human nature.
As well, I know some sites in the Ohio Valley have been fenced off for a pollution reason...some critters may breach that barrier and still be hit by a car.
This is not the Depression Era and there may be a health component to roadkill, or even other animals, to consider well beyond the relatively safe maggot level.
I certainly don't think that rises to the level of not hunting animals but it does require we at least consider location.
I raise homing pigeons and give them medication....safe to eat those "wild" pigeons?....medication bottle says no.
What is "wild" may not always be "safe".
Just something to consider amongst the high-fives of atta-boy!

Good Luck, I do applaud your viewpoint.

#42 ·
I've heard that the Chinese visitors to this country are amazed by the number of animals left roadside....that said, many markets in China are likely not where most statesiders would shop.

I don't think many would argue that a freshly hit animal would not likely be safe to eat...odds-wise, but the flatter the critter then possibly less so....however, much of the Net talk is from folks wanting/needing to make a statement larger than roadkill consumption.
I don't trust because I read a Net blog or some stranger's agenda....too narrow a focus many times.

The window of opportunity for roadkill would seem small to me and the risk, once roadkill is a staple, is for the boundaries of safety to be pushed....just human nature.
As well, I know some sites in the Ohio Valley have been fenced off for a pollution reason...some critters may breach that barrier and still be hit by a car.
This is not the Depression Era and there may be a health component to roadkill, or even other animals, to consider well beyond the relatively safe maggot level.
I certainly don't think that rises to the level of not hunting animals but it does require we at least consider location.
I raise homing pigeons and give them medication....safe to eat those "wild" pigeons?....medication bottle says no.
What is "wild" may not always be "safe".
Just something to consider amongst the high-fives of atta-boy!

Good Luck, I do applaud your viewpoint.
I've known hunters who waited hours or overnight before tracking a deer after a poorly placed shot. Not just up north, in the south in warm or even hot weather. Could roadkill killed a few hours prior be any worse?

On the subject of poorly shot game, I've seen hunters do more damage with a single shot than most people do with a car.

#11 ·
My mother had some similar concerns and I think it's a valid argument, albeit perspective based. I look at things in a different light though. I'm a chemist and have done trace metal analysis on plants, canned goods, and water. What you buy from the store anyway is full of toxins that can kill you over time. I also work with lab rats. I know how terrible meat looks when an animal is caged generation after generation. They get so sickly is hard to look at them alive.

Most food purchased in the store is FDA approved, which means nothing to me (not to offend anyone who might be affiliated). Most food we buy in stores nowadays is purchased overseas where pollution is upwards of tenfold over US soil.

I'm certainly not saying eating roadkill is any better than store bought food. I just don't see how it could be any worse. I did it just because it was there. Just to see if I could cross that mental barrier. Living off the land has always been a hobby for me, no matter where that land is.

But Peterson, you're right. There are risks involved, though I believe terminal sickness and/or death is just as likely as getting equally sick from store bought food. Very unlikely, but it could happen. For me though, the insight I gained is worth more than the risk involved. I realize it's unnecessary at this point in American history and it certainly isn't for everybody. Still, I don't think that will stop me from doing it again.

Reactions: wascher
#12 ·
I have eaten roadkill plenty of times but all times i watched it being hit. Deer, rabbit, squirrel, and down in florida a lot of armadillo. Im not sure i would risk eating something i just "found". That day might come but it aint here yet!

#14 ·
My mother had some similar concerns and I think it's a valid argument, albeit perspective based. I look at things in a different light though. I'm a chemist and have done trace metal analysis on plants, canned goods, and water. What you buy from the store anyway is full of toxins that can kill you over time. I also work with lab rats. I know how terrible meat looks when an animal is caged generation after generation. They get so sickly is hard to look at them alive.

Most food purchased in the store is FDA approved, which means nothing to me (not to offend anyone who might be affiliated). Most food we buy in stores nowadays is purchased overseas where pollution is upwards of tenfold over US soil.

I'm certainly not saying eating roadkill is any better than store bought food. I just don't see how it could be any worse. I did it just because it was there. Just to see if I could cross that mental barrier. Living off the land has always been a hobby for me, no matter where that land is.

But Peterson, you're right. There are risks involved, though I believe terminal sickness and/or death is just as likely as getting equally sick from store bought food. Very unlikely, but it could happen. For me though, the insight I gained is worth more than the risk involved. I realize it's unnecessary at this point in American history and it certainly isn't for everybody. Still, I don't think that will stop me from doing it again.
You seem to be looking at this with wide-open eyes so I expect the menu will work for you....especially deer and squirrels.

Only me, but I would have concerns over eating scavangers like raccoons and possums....each of whom may get into old man Kelsey's garbage and chomp up old lady Kelsey's medicine that got thrown in the trash, etc., etc....I can see worse but not in every case.
As with not all fish being safe to eat that swim in our rivers, I question the safety of some critters that cross our roads.

I would agree that store-bought food of many kinds, imported or not, would make us all cringe were we to follow it field to plate or were we to analyze more than a package's label.

#15 ·
In years past especially in the 70's, early 80's with a one deer limit, a road kill deer was definitely delicious. of course, I mean one that was not blasted by a semi. the secrets, after gutting, hang it from tree and use a garden hose to flush all the blood out of it. the foul odor from the blood disappears once you flush the body cavity.

Whats sickening is Pennsyvania who wont let anyone snag a road kill. carcasses everywhere. that might of changed but I know a ohio guy who stopped to look at a road kill buck on I 79 and got a $125 illegal parking ticket.

#23 ·
In years past especially in the 70's, early 80's with a one deer limit, a road kill deer was definitely delicious. of course, I mean one that was not blasted by a semi. the secrets, after gutting, hang it from tree and use a garden hose to flush all the blood out of it. the foul odor from the blood disappears once you flush the body cavity.

Whats sickening is Pennsyvania who wont let anyone snag a road kill. carcasses everywhere. that might of changed but I know a ohio guy who stopped to look at a road kill buck on I 79 and got a $125 illegal parking ticket.
Now that is just friggin a sad state of affairs.. thanks for the warning about PA! I can't count the number of times I've pulled off a highway to check out a roadkill buck in OH..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.