Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 41 of 41 Posts

23,102 Posts
This thread was a classic........Shadow/Lurker is gone but not fogotten-11 years ago this month.

Outdoors: With one careless shot, a life is lost

By Dave Golowenski
For The Columbus Dispatch
Sunday January 22, 2012 6:37 AM

Tragic hunting cases point to a need for vigilance-

That on occasion hunters and nonhunters die at the hands of hunters is not reported in timely news releases by the Ohio Division of Wildlife. The explanation for that is not entirely clear, though it's likely decision-makers have never thought of a compelling reason to do so and found a number of reasons, including sensitivity to victims' families.

Vicki Ervin, the division's communications manager, said she can't remember hunting incidents ever being routinely reported. The division issues an annual report, though the 2010 report is not yet complete.

Stories about busted poaching rings still make the wildlife reports, no doubt as cautionary tales aimed at would-be scofflaws, as well as demonstrations that the public's license and permit money gets results.

Not reported by the division was the untimely death of Nikolas J. Neric, 26, of suburban Cleveland. Neric, who lived in the suburb of Brooklyn, died from a gunshot wound at the Grand River Wildlife Area in Trumbull County on the afternoon of Jan. 10, the final day of the four-day deer muzzleloader season.

Here is what a friend posted last week about Neric on a Web page provided by the funeral home:

"I believe that there are many people you meet during your lifetime that influence and change who you are as a person. Nick was one of those people. … I would marvel at how one minute Nick could be the funniest person in the world and then the next minute he would be the most caring and concerned person. … Nick showed how to be individualistic and true to yourself, how to strive for the very best in whatever you did and how to be able to laugh at any situation. I was proud to have known Nick and to have called him my friend."

The Trumbull County coroner decided against bringing charges, calling the death an accident.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts