Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two for one Kroger ribs that I bought a couple weeks ago are at their sell by date today. So into the smoker they go.

Reactions: HunterGKS

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This smoker uses the hanging method. It can handle 6 full racks, or 3 racks with two chickens, or two 12 lb turkeys or a brisket, loins, etc.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Have you ever had an issue with the meat becoming so tender it falls of the hook & onto the charcoal?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ever had an issue with the meat becoming so tender it falls of the hook & onto the charcoal?
Good question. I have come close with ribs when I hang them all the way until done. But I most often use a 2-1-1 method - the racks get foiled after 2 hrs and sit on the griddle to finish for the last two hours. When I let them hang the whole time, I check every half hour after the first 3 1/2 hrs. Another way is to cut the racks in half to reduce the hanging weight.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am using Kingsford hickory charcoal today and a couple of handfuls of pimento wood.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Pit Barrel Cooker runs temperatures between 250 and 300 when adjusted properly. 262 deg today. Of course you can crank it up higher for other meats and veggies.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She likes her ribs moist and fallin’ of the bone. I like ‘em a bit drier and almost fallin’ off the bone. Wrapped at 2 hrs.

Reactions: bluedog

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unwrapped and found both are done at 3 1/2 hrs. Sauce on the side. Stubb’s Original for me.

Reactions: HunterGKS

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Unwrapped and found both are done at 3 1/2 hrs. Sauce on the side. Stubb’s Original for me.
Looks real good. I really enjoy a good bark on my ribs. Were those the baby backs they had on sale? I also bought 2 & grilled 1. Other is still in the freezer.

Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Overall, the PBC is a worthy smoker. It is quite a bit of labor to operate it. It is heavy duty and will last a very long time. It holds a tribe-worth of food with that hanging method. And it runs true and long between 250 and 300 deg.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks real good. I really enjoy a good bark on my ribs. Were those the baby backs they had on sale? I also bought 2 & grilled 1. Other is still in the freezer.
They called them pork loin ribs. I should have frozen one too Haha !

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never foil. That's boiling them.
Yes it steams them. Cooks them faster and they melt off the bone. Adding sliced onion rings in the foil is a bonus! My family prefers them that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts