Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently shoot a stock Diamond Rock 2.0 set at 27.5" draw and 65lbs. I have a drop away rest, a peep that has the rubber tied to the cable, and a tru-glo sight. I shoot gold tip carbon arrows (4" vanes) and have been shooting Rage 2 blades, 100 grains.

I am thinking about dropping the weight to 60lbs.

I need a new string as mine is freyed (guy who installed my peep nicked the string - although he won't admit it). Vapor Trail? Zebra?

I am thinking about going with a different peep. The one I have now over rotates even though I have had it looked at twice. Maybe one that lets more light in and doesn't have the rubber connecting to the cable?

I am switching broadheads from the Rage. I know many like them but the after the past 2 deer I have shot and numerous target shots that have had issues, I think its time to try something else. Any suggestions?

I have thought about switching arrows too. The arrows I have are set for 65lbs and according to the box, i need a different arrow size if i go to 60 lbs. Any suggestions? 2" vanes or 4" vanes? What is the advantage with shorter vanes?

I appreciate the help and am excited for the season! Can't wait!

Chris

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
IMO I would shoot victory vaps tipped with swhacker two blades. A good peep to try is The string splitter. The advantage of Blazers is that they a little fly faster than regular 4" vanes. They are good if you use a buscuit, because of less drag when you shoot. The bad part about them is they are less stable at long ranges. 4" vanes are a little slower but at 25 yrds or more they are better, because they are more stable and accurate. If you want to try them refletch 3 of your arrows and shoot them against your other arrows with different vanes on them. You will see the difference at about 20 yrds and farther. If I was gonna get a new string I would recommend the octane strings. Good luck

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I put Winners Choice strings and cables on my bow last year and am impressed. Your peep is rotating probably from string stretch. Their strings are pre stretched before having any serving put on them. Rather pricey though. I thinj I paid somewhere in the 140.00 range. I use a RAD Trio peep. String splits 3 ways. The way I look at it, tubing on a peep is just one more thing that can break. Usually at the wrong time. I shoot Rage 2 blades and have iad tremendous results with them.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about Vapor Trail and Proline strings, i would say either one would be a good choice. As far as a new peep, I use the G5 Meta peep, nice large size and no tubing required. Just make sure your string is broke in good before serving it in place for good.
If you drop down to 60 pounds, I highly recommend a good fixed blade head. I have used the Shuttle T lock broadheads for the past couple years, and have had good luck with them, they are a tough head, and fly better than most fixed blades I have shot. As far as Gold Tip arrows, I have used them for more years than I can count, they are a very good arrow, you might want to try the Blazer vanes, if you do let me know how they do, I thought about trying them myself.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
IMO I would shoot victory vaps tipped with swhacker two blades. A good peep to try is The string splitter. The advantage of Blazers is that they a little fly faster than regular 4" vanes. They are good if you use a buscuit, because of less drag when you shoot. The bad part about them is they are less stable at long ranges. 4" vanes are a little slower but at 25 yrds or more they are better, because they are more stable and accurate. If you want to try them refletch 3 of your arrows and shoot them against your other arrows with different vanes on them. You will see the difference at about 20 yrds and farther. If I was gonna get a new string I would recommend the octane strings. Good luck[/QU I get great arrow flight out to 50 yards with 2inch blazers. They are more accurate out of my setup at long range than 4inch.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I shoot 4 inch feathers and love them. For target shooting, I use Blazers, because of the durability.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts