Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the recent "Having deer scored and put into the record books" thread found under Ohio bowhunting, several people brought up the point that it is our job as sportsmen/women to prevent poaching. I do agree with this statement but to be honest, feel hopeless in assisting the CO's in fighting the ongoing battle. My one and only experience was ruled off as nothing more than heresay as I couldn't provide any specifics and in fact had only heard it "thru the grapevine". This left me feeling a little bitter and embarrassed by wasting the time of an already overworked CO. Without giving specifics I'd like to hear as much as ya'll feel comfortable sharing when it comes to your experiences with reporting violations be it good or bad. When all is said and done if one of us learns something that could possible assist with putting a small dent into what we all consider a HUGE problem then this thread will be a success.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I wish that when you called a GW a local officer would show up quickly to detain or help gather facts if the officer is unable to get there... I know in Hamilton county they get called on the pety things. I think this would open up some time.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i know when i've contacted them they are eager to get the slime...even though they didnt catch them last time i did a lil investigating of my own...next time will be curtains for the puke...click a pic and now i know where the puke lives...so will the gamewarden or wayne enforcement...si-a-nora puke...:D

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Most of the tresspassers on my farm are let go with a warning. There have 2 occasions in 15 years that I considered egregious enough that I called the law. Both cases led to fines for the individuals involved. The second case did take a little pestering and string pulling on my part but the job got done.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
i know when i've contacted them they are eager to get the slime...even though they didnt catch them last time i did a lil investigating of my own...next time will be curtains for the puke...click a pic and now i know where the puke lives...so will the gamewarden or wayne enforcement...si-a-nora puke...:D
Hehehehe. A picture is worth a thousand words as I found out on one of my cases.

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
Evidence equals conviction!! Detailed information that you can collect and hand over to the GW's will aide them in developing a case and eventually in the prosecution and conviction of the offender. The more information you can provide the better the chances a case can be made.
Having a GW be at the scene would be ideal if they are available. However, in most cases, they can't be there so get the info you can at that time. A case can be made weeks or even months after the offense.
I would recommend not acting on information "through the grapevine" . It may or may not be true. Untrue statements bring about unjust and undeserving accusations towards law abiding hunters in many instances.
Act on what you see and what someone told you THEY did. Report it if you consider it poaching...anonymously if necessary.
One last tid bit of info...you can check your county Public Court Access to see if your info resulted in a ticket/conviction of the offender...if you knew his/her name.

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
Is that easily attainable info or jump through hoops stuff?
What office/dept. would you go too?
Get on the county municipal court website and click on Public access. You can then search for tickets written by GW by searching his/her name. You can also search for the offender if your know some of his/her personal info. If you have time, look thru them and you may find someone you know. :shhh:

·
Registered
665 Posts
We tried calling once for trespasser during gun season. They said they wouldn't come out unless the landowner would be there to press the issue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
HE doesn't / wont do trespass anyway. Im in Madison county and the he says the Sherriff has to do trespass he only does game violation ..and fyi the prosecutors office has STATED he doesn't care about trespass here..

I had a chat w head legal in ODNR and he flat hates the ass't prosecutor here

·
Registered
887 Posts
Depends on who you are ($$). I accidentally wandered onto a big name outfitters lease while walking against the wind to a stand and one of his spotters saw me. GW was there within 30 minutes. I was threatened with fines, etc. but the land owner refused to press the issue. I was new to the property and led to think that a certain field edge was within limits and it was not. Lesson learned. I certainly wasn't poaching and when the GW approached me I was well onto my side of the land where I had written permission.

·
Banned
955 Posts
In every county I hunt I have the county GW and sheriff # on speed dial. It seems like around here the sheriffs are easier on trespassers than the GW's.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
In every county I hunt I have the county GW and sheriff # on speed dial. It seems like around here the sheriffs are easier on trespassers than the GW's.
same here but its the wnf's law enforcement...for those that think these guys can be there asap...not always...sometimes theyre on other calls...sometimes if lucky theyre not and theyre only a few minutes away...i know the wnf guys get a lot of calls...violations or fires...the sheriffdept.patrols the twnshp roads in the wnf area we hunt bigtime during gun season...and thruout the year...gw's are the rareest of law enforcement here...:biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts