Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm having trouble removing bolts from my foam target. The first mistake was that I replaced my worn out target with a new target from wal mart. I should have went with a higher quality one but what's done is done and I'm not wanting to spend the money buying another target.

I have an arrow puller but it is still extremely difficult to remove them. It's so bad that I'm so exhausted pulling bolts that I can't stand to shoot it more than a half dozen times (you'd think you could shoot all day with a crossbow). I researched the web and the only solution I found was some expensive bolt lube (have you figured out I'm a cheap bastard yet?).

Has anyone used any household products on their bolts to ease removal? I've considered WD40, baby powder, hoppes, and automotive grease. Anybody have suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Keep in mind that as the target breaks in (gets shot a bunch) it will get easier. I know that's no help right now, but it will get easier.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
use a broadhead and break it in or ruin it so you can then get a good one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't get around to shooting this weekend like I wanted to so I didn't get to try anything yet.... I was considering buying KY yours and mine and putting yours on the bolt and mine on the target. I wanted to see if they would burst into flames. :D

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have one of those orange crossbow targets. designed for high speed stuff. Its real dense and the only way I can pull arrows is to twist them first. I can pull with all its worth and they won't budge but give them a twist and they ease right out. When u pull them out theres a residue on the field tips that looks like melted target. I think it acts like a glue. Also if your target is layered make sure your arrow enters with the grain so to speak. If its solid foam than the twist should help.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, WD40 won out. I sprayed a little on the first third of the bolt and removed excess with a terry cloth. The bolts had the same penetration but were not stuck hard in the target. The lubricant kept the bolt and target from fusing.

The only downside to the WD40 is I'm not sure what effect it will have on the string or any other parts if it were to inadvertently get on them because it is petroleum based. I assume it could reduce string life. It's a risk I'm willing to take and I've been careful not to use any more than is needed and I wipe off any extra. There is just enough to create a sheen on the first 1/3 of the bolt.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can also use a dry silicone lube in an aerosol can. The rail lube you use on your crossbow is silicone based also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts