Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a remington 1100 cantilever rifled barrel gun for deer hunting next season. anybody have thoughts about this gun ??? what would be a good scope to put on it ?? any thought about the red dot scopes out there ??? what sabot shells might work the best in it ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
an excellent choice. i bought my brother one for X-mas a few years back. he loves it. i forget what scope i had put on the gun but i know it was a simple 4X power- bushnell maybe, around 80 bucks. as for sabots he shoots the remington copper 2 3/4 in. tight groups out to 100yds. gun has never failed him. buy it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
The 1100 hundred is a great gun. As far as the scope, my dad has a 3-9x40 on his 870 and he likes it but you could always just use a straight 4x. Its very rare that you get a shot past 70 yrds where I hunt, so the 3-9 isnt neccessary but it is nice to crank it up a little when the deer is at 60yrds.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS ALL.......I WENT TODAY AND ORDERED THE 1100 REM. CANTILEVER....STILL HAVEN'T DECIDED ON SCOPE OR THE RED DOT SCOPE ......ANYONE PREVERE ONE OVER THE OTHER ??? MY SHOTS WILL NOT BE OVER 100 YARDS ......

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by scrooge
THANKS ALL.......I WENT TODAY AND ORDERED THE 1100 REM. CANTILEVER....STILL HAVEN'T DECIDED ON SCOPE OR THE RED DOT SCOPE ......ANYONE PREVERE ONE OVER THE OTHER ??? MY SHOTS WILL NOT BE OVER 100 YARDS ......
I DECIDED ON GETTING THE LEUPOLD VX11 2 - 7 X 33 SHOTGUN SCOPE......

·
Registered
184 Posts
That scope should do a real good job. Leupold is a good scope. As far as the sabots go, you just need to buy a few boxes of each and shoot them and see which ones the gun seems to like best.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right.....thanks redneck66....that's what i am planning to do....i will post what sabots it shoots best when i get around to shooting the gun......thanks again

·
Registered
343 Posts
Anyone who knows me knows that Im a huge Remington fan. I have the 1100 .410 and a Wingmaster 12 ga. They are awesome guns. Leupold makes great scopes and you will be glad you went with a better scope for the lenses and they are better optics than most. :) Have fun with the gun. lol if you dont like it sell it to me ;) Just kiddin

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all.......i'm suppose to be able to pick up my new remington 1100 shotgun one day this week.......trigger finger is getting itchy !!!!!!! lol......

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WELL I FINALLY GOT TO GO SHOOT THE GUN.....TRIED 3 DIFFERENT KIND OF SHELLS AND THE GUN SHOOTS THE REMINGTON COPPER SOLIDS WITH BEST GROUPINGS......NEXT I WILL NEED TO TAKE MORE TIME AND SHELLS TO GET THE SCOPE SIGHTED IN....THANKS TO ALL

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOT COMPLETELY HAPPY CAMPER......I DID SHOOT THE GUN , BUT I HAD TO SHOOT IT BY JUST LOADING THE CHAMBER 1 SHOT AT A TIME......FOR SOME REASON THE CARRIAGE WON'T MOVE FAR ENOUGH TO LET ME LOAD THE MAGAZINE.....TAKING IT BACK TO GUN SHOP THIS EVENING AND SEE WHAT HE SAYS......:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Disreguard my last post.....I found out what i was doing wrong....Just my stupidity.....lol.....Well i've never owned a new shotgun before i didn't know you was supposed to slide the shell over the little tab on the carriage......My old and i mean old BROWNING does not have a tab like this new gun does...... BUT LIKE I SAID BEFORE,,,,JUST MY STUPIDITY .........:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hey scrooge, congradulations on the new gun. ya cant go wrong with an 1100. I'm willing to bet the remmy coppers will shoot best. I've tried all brands of sabots at the shooting bench with my brothers 1100 and theres no comparison. Let us know how you pattern out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes the remmy coppers did shoot the best of the 3 shells i tried.....i ordered 10 boxes of them today so the next time i go shoot i'll work on sighting the scope in......

1 - 20 of 61 Posts