Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
22,521 Posts
I read this on Tuesday when the charges were filed. Interesting to see how this plays out.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Why did he ( if that is true) discharge the gun into the air????

WHat the heck is wrong with the common sense of these amish people ??

What goes up MUST come down... unfortunately it came down and struck that Poor 15 year old innocent girl... what a tragedy..

What are the chances??

Wrong place wrong time???

Maybe.. Maybe not..

You should always discharge the gun into a safe and appropriate backstop .. or at least shoot it into the ground pointed in a safe direction in case of a ricochet if nothing else is available.....

There is no excuse for this to have happened...

Prayers for the girls family..

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Why did he ( if that is true) discharge the gun into the air????

What goes up MUST come down... unfortunately it came down and struck that Poor 15 year old innocent girl... what a tragedy..

What are the chances??

Wrong place wrong time???

Maybe.. Maybe not..

You should always discharge the gun into a safe and appropriate backstop .. or at least shoot it into the ground pointed in a safe direction in case of a ricochet if nothing else is available.....

There is no excuse for this to have happened...

Prayers for the girls family..
this brings up another question...when squirrel hunting with a 22,should one not shoot at angles at squirrels that could send bullets for miles:mischeif:,like you said...what goes up must come down...common sense...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
NEVER shoot in the air or at angles going up with any Rifle or pistol.. including a .22 caliber.. a shotgun shooting bird shot is probably okay since it loses its energy very quickly and is not likely to harm anyone when it rains down back to earth.. but any rifle or pistol or SLUG ( Sabot or Rifled shotgun round) should NEVER be fired in the air or at an upward angle for any reason what so ever.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
INCLUDING while Squirrel hunting.. if you are using a .22 for squirrel hunting NEVER shoot at a squirrel in a tree... always shoot when they are on the ground or below your elevation... you NEVER know where that round will land..if you want to shoot in the trees.. use a shotgun.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
INCLUDING while Squirrel hunting.. if you are using a .22 for squirrel hunting NEVER shoot at a squirrel in a tree... always shoot when they are on the ground or below your elevation... you NEVER know where that round will land..if you want to shoot in the trees.. use a shotgun.
i t-totally agree...and have always felt that way...i'm really not too hip to rifles or pistols being allowed for squirrels...that scares me more than anythang when i'm in a tree deer hunting...especially when i'm wearing a **** skin cap...:biggrin:

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shooting squirrels with a shotgun is no sport IMO. You sneak in close so you are shooting almost straight up or put the trunk or large limb behind the squirrel it is safe.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Shooting squirrels with a shotgun is no sport IMO. You sneak in close so you are shooting almost straight up or put the trunk or large limb behind the squirrel it is safe.
i shoot a bullet in the air,where it falls i dont know/care where...:biggrin:

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I googled squirrel hunting accidents, after looking at about 20 results I found several shotgun fatalities but only 1 .22 fatality and that was self inflicted. Several didn't mention what type of weapon was involved but they were all very close range or self inflicted. I didn't find one example of a .22 bullet causing harm at long distances. Not saying it never happens but it appears shotguns cause more problems.

·
Banned
624 Posts
This kind of stuff always reminds me of the fools that shoot in the air as a way to celebrate. Back in '82 when the PLO left Beirut, they killed 14 people with all the shooting in the air. They killed 20 in Iraq in '05 celebrating Saddam's death.

Puerto Rico kills 2 a year just from New Year's Eve celebrating. The U.S. also has its share of falling bullet deaths. Wikipedia even has a section about it at :

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire#section_1

Firearms expert Julian Hatcher studied falling bullets and found that .30 caliber rounds reach terminal velocities of 300 feet per second (90 m/s) and larger .50 caliber bullets have a terminal velocity of 500 feet per second (150 m/s). A bullet traveling at only 150 feet per second (46 m/s) to 170 feet per second (52 m/s) can penetrate human skin, and at 200 feet per second (60 m/s) it can penetrate the skull. A bullet that does not penetrate the skull may still result in an intracranial injury.
Even if a .22 might not reach that velocity in free fall when shot straight up, you also have to add ballistic velocity to it when shot out at an angle.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was working surveying on a land fill closure in Mason Co. Wv over looking the Ohio River. I had the transit set up over looking the land fill doing the layout work with the 24" x 36" plans layed out on the ground right behind me when I heard some dirt hit my plans. I was thinking the dozer operater behind me was flipping dirt clods towards me but he was 50 yards behind me. when I wiped the dirt off the plans there was a .22 slug laying on the plans. It was mid Sept and the only place I think that slug could have come from was from across the river in Meigs Co. over a mile away from some squirrel hunter. That was way to close:yikes:

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Interesting that they chose to prosecute the guy. Seems like quite often in
"mistaken for game" incidents, the shooter never gets charged. Although shooting a gun into the air is pure stupidity, taking aim at someone and shooting them is so much worse in my mind's eye.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
At least somebody is investigating this case. I wonder if they have slug? or maybe it was a plastic sabot load that cannot be tracked to the gun like cartridge.

Next, whats happening with the Shadowlurker investigation?
I would like to know if the juvenile mentioned had a hunter safety course or was doing the apprentice permit.

·
22,521 Posts
At least somebody is investigating this case. I wonder if they have slug? or maybe it was a plastic sabot load that cannot be tracked to the gun like cartridge.

I would like to know if the juvenile mentioned had a hunter safety course or was doing the apprentice permit.
Good question-

·
Registered
48,626 Posts

maybe the gun was a smooth bore...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't thing that lack of "common sense" is exclusive to any one ethnicity

You should always discharge the gun into a safe and appropriate backstop .. or at least shoot it into the ground pointed in a safe direction
It appears that is why he is being charged with RECKLESS homicide. His act certainly seems to meet that definition based upon what has been reported.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts