Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to raise some quail or grouse and release them. Does anyone have experience with this?? I'm not interested in hunting them,. I would just like to see a comeback of these birds... How can I do this?

Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Would like to raise some quail or grouse and release them. Does anyone have experience with this?? I'm not interested in hunting them,. I would just like to see a comeback of these birds... How can I do this?

Thanks,
Chase
Think I'd call the ODNR to see if they have info on this. They might have some type of program on it as well.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Very bad odds that any pen raised birds will survive a few weeks. Wild females teach the little ones on avoiding predators from the day they hatch. this does not happen with pen raised birds.
I belonged to a hunt club that would release about 500 pheasants each year. I doubt 10 might survive the winter. Same thing for all the birds released on public hunt areas.
years ago, chukars were released, none survived.

spend your money on habitat improvements and killing coyotes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Comeback Birds

Thanks,
Chase
Hi,
Healthy, fresh water marshes that can support birds such as rails, bitterns and moorhens are becoming all too rare in this area. Thus, so are these birds and comeback.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Quail and grouse are two of the most challenging birds to release with any success. Quail become domesticated and dependent too easily and I'm not aware of any successfully grouse introduction attempts.

It is an expensive and labor intense operation but there have been people who have had luck with releasing quail and pheasant using a Surragator. With an initial investment of about $2,000 you have to be pretty serious about the project.

I have had some limited luck with stocking pheasants. The best results were when we bought about a 6/3 mix of hens to roosters and stocked them in the spring. Most pheasant farms clear up their invertory around the first or second week of March. You have to pay a small premium to get them that late but the chance of survival with bugs coming out and fresh growth sprouting is better than turning them loose in the fall and expecting them to survive the winter.

Habitat is key. If you don't have a plenty of good habitat, save your money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
contact odnr i am pretty sure that you have 2 have some sort of permit when raising game birds. good luck to you!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts