Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
its very hard if your not in a blind i know that...before blinds many used a buddy system with one guy calling and another hiding behind a tree or brush about 20 yds. away...the idea that the turk would be focussed on the caller and maybe not notice the shooter drawing...i never hunted that way,always solo...i got the turks super close,sometimes much too close and could never get away with drawing on them...but i will say it was a great time...if you use a blind a very short bow comes in very handy...:biggrin:
i was amazed at the length of bow i could shoot from this blind but you had to hold it almost straight verticle...you could get away with some cant with very short recurves...not a lot...i shot bows from 48" to 64"from this...the 48 wins hands down...

By null at 2012-02-21
with this type blind you can get away with canting the bow as much as you want but according to length of bow on to what degree of cant...the shortys again were much more comfy and without worry of limb tips hitting the tent...with the shortys i never even worried about it...

By null at 2012-02-21

a 52"bow is plenty short enough in either blind...

By null at 2012-02-21

for comparison...

By null at 2012-02-21

By null at 2012-02-21
plenty of room...

By null at 2012-02-21
a lil more cant in the bigger wider/roomier blind but the roof was much lower than the other blind...

as you see theres much more room in front in this blind as in the other the bow was very close to the front of the blind at full draw but no problem...in both blinds i sat at the very back allowing enough room for my elbow at full draw...the bigger blind easily shot bows to 64"...and i might have shot a 70"but the longer the bow the more you will concentrate on upper limb clearance,not good...

By null at 2012-02-21

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you were hunting somewhere you could dig a hole inside to lower yourself a few inches might help some in a blind. I ordered a FALCO STORM its a short longbow made in ESTONIA a sovern country on the BALTIC SEA. I got it back in NOVEMBER But have had health problems and been laid up almost a year. got it to use in a blind the bow is beautiful hard to look at and not be able to use yet. I think it will be perfect for what I got it for.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i just realized the bow i'm shooting is the 48" ben pearson instead of the 52"ben pearson...here are both of them...i did shoot both bows from the blinds and both worked great...:D

By null at 2010-08-09

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for all of the detail...much more than I expected! The buddy system sounds interesting. I was wondering how I'd be able to draw without spooking the turkey. I was previously considering using some camo canvas, with a hole cut out, that I could hide behind. I'm still not sure if that would give away too much motion. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've got a buddy that kills his spring birds every year with a recurve and no blind. He usually holds off hunting until the 3rd week, as he is waiting for vegitation to thicken up. It is much easier to hide and get away with drawing the bow once the leaves are on... This year, he may be able to get out right from opening day. I'd guess we won't be able to see far through the woods by then. I think we are 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts