Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been "dabbling" with the idea of shooting a recurve, maybe even trying hunting with one. I know absolutely nothing about them, so I am going to ask some simple questions.

What are some good arrow speeds from a recurve?
No sights, all instinctive aiming?
Why wooden arrows instead of carbon or alum?
Can you use No-gloves with them?
What is the max range you can effectively shoot?

I have a 29 inch draw, my compound is set at 70. What is a good draw weight for a recurve?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I don't know about arrow speeds.
I don't us sights it is all instinctive..
I shoot carbon arrows and love them but you can use what ever arrow you want.
You will want to use a glove.. or tab's.. I prefere a 3 finger glove..
When hunting my max range is 20 yd's with more practice it may go out to 25 yd's.

It is not easy. I have been shooting off and on for 4+ years and shot alot as a kid and still need more practice. Once you get some practice in and feel confident, go shoot a 3-D shoot that will put things in perspective.. I am feeling confident, I am shooting a 3-D shoot Sunday.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I have been "dabbling" with the idea of shooting a recurve, maybe even trying hunting with one. I know absolutely nothing about them, so I am going to ask some simple questions.

I have a 29 inch draw, my compound is set at 70. What is a good draw weight for a recurve?
Never really looked into it, but I'd imagine good is somewhere around 230 fps.
Most don't use sights. I've actually never seen anyone with sights on their bow. I have seen bows with sights, but reckon it was just a fad that has passed. You'd be surprised how accurately you can be with practice, but some guys just have it.
I shoot wood just to be a little more traditional. I don't have to, I choose to. A lot of guys shoot carbon/aluminum.
You don't have to use gloves. I do, but want to get away from them.
My max range always depends on how the shot feels. If I feel comfortable taking a 30/35 yrd shot I'll do it, but usually they're 25 and under. You know that feeling you get when you just know its gonna be a great shot?
Start off low, 40/45 lbs. depending on your strength, and work on form.
We'll talk more. I don't have a lefty, buy I'm sure someone I know does.
Look on Craigslist or go to a OSTA shoot. It's really a ton more fun shooting trad.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
717 Posts
You might want to look at the Samick Sage as a good starter recurve. They are very affordable and functional. I picked one up this year. I'm very happy with it. Even though it's classified as a starter bow, it has a lot of features and is a good hunting bow out of the box.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
not sure bout 230 fps but i'd say if you get 180 fps especially out of a lower poundage bow like 45#you are doing good...i really dont keep up on it but heavier arrows seem more important for penetration...especially with lower poundage bows...565 is prolly a happy medium,not real heavy but not too light...:D

as for no gloves or tabs...theres a lil contraption called "no gloves"its basically a couple pcs of rubber tubing that slips on the string where you hold it...it is molded to fit the three fingers used in split finger...it has a hole the length of it so you thread it onto the string...a bobby pin is used to get it started over the string loopthe smaller string loop)...its prolly about 4-5"length once in position on string and thers two parts ...you leave a space between them where the arrow goes on the string ...using split finger shooting method one finger lays on the top rubber section and the other two fingers on the bottom section ...very easy to install and to use...:biggrin:not using anythang at all can mess your fingers up...i do know people that got used to it but when first learning to shoot you dont need any pain there that will cause poor shooting habits...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yeah, 230 was a guess. I just googled it and most "fast" trad bows are about 200.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

1) I would say in the 170-180 fps range.
2) I shoot instinctive. Sights would be harder with no let off like a cam gives you.
3) I shoot cedar shafts that weigh in around 540 grains. You can shoot other types. It's all preference.
4) I would recommend a glove or tab.
5) I shoot out to 20 yards but 15-18 is more like it for hunting. I have bow hunted 26 years and very rarely set myself up for more than a 15 yard shot.

Pick one up. They are fun and the true meaning of archery.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure bout 230 fps but i'd say if you get 180 fps especially out of a lower poundage bow like 45#you are doing good...i really dont keep up on it but heavier arrows seem more important for penetration...especially with lower poundage bows...565 is prolly a happy medium,not real heavy but not too light...:D

as for no gloves or tabs...theres a lil contraption called "no gloves"its basically a couple pcs of rubber tubing that slips on the string where you hold it...it is molded to fit the three fingers used in split finger...it has a hole the length of it so you thread it onto the string...a bobby pin is used to get it started over the string loopthe smaller string loop)...its prolly about 4-5"length once in position on string and thers two parts ...you leave a space between them where the arrow goes on the string ...using split finger shooting method one finger lays on the top rubber section and the other two fingers on the bottom section ...very easy to install and to use...:biggrin:not using anythang at all can mess your fingers up...i do know people that got used to it but when first learning to shoot you dont need any pain there that will cause poor shooting habits...
I use the no-gloves on my bowfishing bow. Love them!

Thanks guys! I am really considering it. I won't hunt this year with one, just because I don't think I would be comfortable enough shooting instinctive at a deer yet. My bowfishing bow does not have sights, it is all instinctive aiming, and I have to aim low for fish, so I wonder how that will affect my aiming with a recurve.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
some say to shoot low on deer...because the deer has a tendency tolower their body as they try to get away from the noise...most call it jumping the string...i've tried it a couple times only to miss low and the deer never flinched...:Dbowfishing doesnt have any effect with me...either way youre picking a spot to shoot at...with a carp you pick a spot below it...and with a deer the spots on it...:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Good excuse ****.... LOL

If you are left handed I have a friend that has 2 lefty's Jericho knows the guy also. The father-in-law gave them to him but he shoot's Rt'' I know he wants to sell them. One is a Hoyt medalist I think and I can't remember the other both are quality..

As for sights with recurves I shoot with a guy that is a national champ with many National buckles and trophy's. He shoots Spot and sometimes 3-D with sights in comp. shoots..Mike Grant He is just sick with it.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Good excuse ****.... LOL

If you are left handed I have a friend that has 2 lefty's Jericho knows the guy also. The father-in-law gave them to him but he shoot's Rt'' I know he wants to sell them. One is a Hoyt medalist I think and I can't remember the other both are quality..

As for sights with recurves I shoot with a guy that is a national champ with many National buckles and trophy's. He shoots Spot and sometimes 3-D with sights in comp. shoots..Mike Grant He is just sick with it.
what poundage does he shoot...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
JB....Regardless whether you're shooting 1000gr. arrows or550gr. ones, you are learning your sight picture which is crucial to good instinctive shooting. You will,in time, learn to adjust for distance,etc. Get bwith people in the know or get to an OSTA shoot and you'll be surprised what info you will learn in a day's time;)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JB....Regardless whether you're shooting 1000gr. arrows or550gr. ones, you are learning your sight picture which is crucial to good instinctive shooting. You will,in time, learn to adjust for distance,etc. Get bwith people in the know or get to an OSTA shoot and you'll be surprised what info you will learn in a day's time;)
Thanks guys. I really want to try it, I am going to head out to the shop this evening and take a look around.

Is there a difference in performance with the takedown type bows?
Is choosing vanes the same process? I shoot feathers now with my compound?
What type of broadheads do guys shoot with the cedar arrows?

I have alot to learn about it before I make the plunge and decide to do it. I want make sure I make the right decisions from the beginning.

·
5,040 Posts
Not many lefties on ebay at a reasonable price right now. I'd look at some average carbon arrows to start with, like others say I'd start between 40-50#, Arrows should be a minimum of 29 inches, maybe a little longer, If you shoot off the bow shelf, your broadhead has to be in front of the facing on the shelf. Most traditional hunters go with a cut on contact type head, Magnus, Zwickey, Bear Razorheads, something along those lines, most want a fairly heavy head to help with the penetration. Remember you'll probably be between 150-180 fps. Most trad guys shoot feathers. Here's two bows listed on Ebay right now. Starting out you should be able to find a basic recurve in the $75-100 range. Bears usually go higher just for collectors value. The one I listed below has a hole drilled in it, so it's lost a lot of it's value. Wing, Shakespeare, Browning, Cravotta Bros, Pearson are just some of the good older recurves out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bear-grizzl...909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3378d51275
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Win...183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab9cab3df

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I don't know of Any difference in a takedown or 1piece...the heavier takedown tends to have less handshock and be quieter ...
broadheads for wood need to be without inserts...
5"feathers are my favourite on any type arrah ...vanes work very poo:Drly...

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
My buddy has 2 recurves for sale Lt handed both are in mint condition the pull is 40 or 45 One bow is a Hoyt Medalist and the other is a Ben Peason Knight. The Hoyt is as **** will agree is a very nice shooting bow as is the Pearson.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
If your going for a takedown bow a continuous bow string is easier to maintain your brace height with then a flemish twist - most takedown's look like a pair of limbs on a 2 x 4 ta me - dang :whistle: - would'nt get one unless i really needed that feature - jus say'n :whistle::mischeif:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4364X

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I don't know of Any difference in a takedown or 1piece...the heavier takedown tends to have less handshock and be quieter ...
broadheads for wood need to be without inserts...
5"feathers are my favourite on any type arrah ...vanes work very poo:Drly...
vanes work just fine if your bow is set up for them - you can get an aluminum thingy to use screw in broadheads on woodies - hand shock is for the most part due to poor bow design - dang jus say'n :whistle::mischeif:

btw - how did your new fletching jig workout George ?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad to hear I can stick with the feathers. I really like them out of my comp.

I definitely want a bow that has minimal hand shock.

I don't think I care for the takedowns, and I asked because I just needed a reason to feel that way...:biggrin:

I appreciate the help guys, Bawana, thanks for looking at them for me. Wildman, I appreciate the leads. I think I am going to visit someone who has one and watch them shoot for a while, maybe go to a shoot and look at everything the sport encompasses before I decide what to buy. I want to ensure that when I decide to make a purchase, whether it is 100 dollars or 500 dollars, that it is money well spent and I am confident in the decision I make. I am excited to get into shooting one. I had debating getting one for fish a while back, but I think itd be a little long for manuevering around on the boat deck with other people, and I think I'd always be banging it on my lights.

The two animals I want to hunt more than anything are black bears and moose, or meese, or mice, whatever the plural may be. But I want to do those hunts with a recurve someday, and I want to take a whitetail or two with one. Who knows, I may end up enjoying it so much that I decide thats the way for me!:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts