Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the XPR Sporter in 22" with a Leupold VX 3-9x that has the custom range knob for 350L. I haven't shot it further than 100 yards, so can't attest to the accuracy of the range adjustment, but the trigger on the XPR is great. I like the wood stock; however, there was a lot of bare wood under the barrel and around the magazine slot. I used some wipe on poly to seal it up before taking it out in the rain. It has proven to be as accurate as I can shoot it.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
The biggest reason I went with the Savage was because of the adjustable LOP . I need it to be able to fit my granddaughter and me . The only other thing I didn't like is the safety parts are not made of steel on the XPR . If it only had to fit me I would have just bought a XPR . Howa makes one but it has a 16 inch barrel and I didn't want anything shorter than 18 .

·
Registered
951 Posts
So I am embarrassed to admit I know NOTHING about rifles. I have been reading this thread and am confused more than ever...chambered in "x", caliber "y" etc. I am good with bows, shotguns and, to a lesser extent, hand guns, but rifles are unknown. To simplify, I have a $350 gift card to Cabelas/Bass Pro. I see they have a Savage Axis XP 350 Legend, but with many calibers. I see through these posts that it might not be the highest of quality, but I would like to have a straight-walled rifle I can use in Ohio for deer. So, what am I looking at/for that is legal in OH? The 350 Legend? It has the 18" barrel. Is that worth it? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

·
5,040 Posts
Yes the 350 Legend is a straight wall cartridge and is legal in Ohio. The 350 is now available in about 6-8 bolt actions or single shot actions. It is also available in an AR platform as well. Some of the companies making these firearms are Mossberg, Savage, Winchester, and Ruger, in the bolt action and Henry and CVA in the break action single shot. I'm sure there are a few I missed but that's the main group. Most people are shooting a cartridge with a bullet in the 150-180 range.

·
Registered
951 Posts
By the way, where can I get a 350 Legend in a legal caliber for Ohio? They seem to be sold out everywhere.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks, Bawana. Any suggestions as to where they are available? Not interested in the AR version (nothing against those who are, but want to purchase a traditional bolt action...and would prefer wood stock, but not a deal breaker).

·
Registered
951 Posts
And to showcase my ignorance, when you say "bullet in the 150-180 range," you are speaking to grains, correct? Sorry...new to the rifle game.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Thanks, Bawana. Any suggestions as to where they are available? Not interested in the AR version (nothing against those who are, but want to purchase a traditional bolt action...and would prefer wood stock, but not a deal breaker).
Get the Winchester xpr it should be exactly what you are looking for in the wood stock and as far as the 150-180 yes that's grain wt good luck on your quest to find a rifle to add to your collection

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
The caliber is called 350 Legend . There are other Ohio legal cals such as .44 Mag , .444 , 45/70 . 357 Mag and many more . If it said Savage Axis .350 Legend it is legal because the caliber is .350 Legend . The Savage Axis is built on a long action frame but the Savage 110 is built on a short action frame . So the bolt throw is about a half inch shorter than a long action . The short action gives about a half inch more room to move your scope than a long action . The Winchester XPR is also built on a short action . The Savage Axis II also has adjustable trigger but still a long action . The Savage 110 has adjustable trigger also and so does the Winchester XPR .

·
Registered
742 Posts
They hit the nail on the head but I'll add my .02. I'll never hunt with anything else in Ohio unless they legalize necked cartridges. Both does I killed were DOA and the second was broadside at 53 yards (ranged it afterwards) and the Hornady American Whitetail round pretty much liquefied her lungs. She did the drop and flop and died within view.

I have the Winchester XPR and love the gun. Easy to handle, ZERO recoil, and shoots great groups. I spent a little more and got the synthetic stock because I wanted to. I looked at the walnut stock but it's Turkish walnut and not our walnut, it just didn't have the grain that our walnut has.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks, SW. Good point about the wood. I have just always preferred wood stocks aesthetically. My waterfowl guns are the exceptions...bad weather can be hard on wood.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks, SW. Good point about the wood. I have just always preferred wood stocks aesthetically. My waterfowl guns are the exceptions...bad weather can be hard on wood.
That's true, look at opening day across most of Ohio this year. I had my gun leaning in the corner overnight to get all the water out. My red dot leaked and has to go back to the manufacturer. I love a wooden stock but I prefer synthetic stock for hunting regardless of what I'm hunting.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That's true, look at opening day across most of Ohio this year. I had my gun leaning in the corner overnight to get all the water out. My red dot leaked and has to go back to the manufacturer. I love a wooden stock but I prefer synthetic stock for hunting regardless of what I'm hunting.
Every firearm I have bought to hunt with has been synthetic stock and I'm not gentle on them the Winchester xpr I picked up will get used in every situation other then rain and even then I have the blinds for that but the whole reason I picked up the all weather Henry in 45/70 was the fact that it looks like a synthetic stock but is in fact wood with an industrial finish I believe they call it
The wood on my xpr will be treated as nicely as I can in the hunting woods after all I bought it to hunt with not sit in the safe but like you I am a big big fan of synthetic for hunting more then likely will be picking up another xpr in 350 like the one turkinator picked up for questionable weather hunts and I've got the three youth so two legends will not work gotta pick up another and had I had to do it all over again I would have left the savage and already picked up the other xpr .... the wife is going to kill me

61 - 80 of 88 Posts